+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CDs with Pre-Emphasis

I'm Phil.

Default CDs with Pre-Emphasis

read this recently with regard to cd `s

What is pre-emphasis? It was a method of equalizing that was used on some CDs originally manufactured during the 80s. If you play these back on a CD player or computer that does not automatically de-emphasize, they will not sound right. They will be oddly tinny and thin sounding.

seems interesting. any thoughts ?

http://cratedigging.co/13/11210/cds_with_pre-emphasis
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adam.

There's loads of them...

As a Factory Records fan I bought the first UK (made in Japan) Factory copy of New Order "Low-Life" on CD.

When years later I ripped it to Flac...

...it didn't sound right until I wrote a DOS batch file to process it with SOX to de-emphasize the Flacs.

71 pages of CDs with pre-emphasis here:-

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...s-list.121188/
    Adam.

I'm Grant.

I think it was part of the Redbook do any machine following it should decide it automatically
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Yes but a load of modern CD players don't do this...

...and anyone who has ripped early CDs to flac on a computer - needs to be worried.
    Adam.

I'm Adam.

Just a few more names for you to toy with:-

Human League, Heaven 17, OMD, China Crisis, The Blue Nile...

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I think it was part of the Redbook do any machine following it should decide it automatically
    True but a lot don't these days, and probably some 'boutique' efforts from the past might not either.

Worst case played back without de-emphasis it will sound a little bit brighter/toppier than it should do. Like a tape with dolby switched off. It won't ruin the sound.

Mostly it's early 1980s Japanese CDs
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True but a lot don't these days, and probably some 'boutique' efforts from the past might not either.

Worst case played back without de-emphasis it will sound a little bit brighter/toppier than it should do. Like a tape with dolby switched off. It won't ruin the sound.

Mostly it's early 1980s Japanese CDs
    Actually we are not exclusively talking about expensive Japanese imports here...

...thousands of early UK CD albums are affected.

As this is a Hi-Fi forum I would suggest that it is a mute point as to whether the sound is ruined.

If you were the kind of person that only started buying CDs with "improved" remastered sound in the 90s - you are probably not going to have many discs with PE.

But I started buying discs around 1984 - and have quite a few PE discs (all of which I have re-ripped with SOX processing).

If you buy old discs from Charity Shops - you might want to check Discogs (which will often tell you about the presence of PE).

There is a flag for PE which is displayed in EAC - but not all discs with PE have the flag set. BTW even though EAC can display the flag - it doesn't compensate for it when creating flacs. For that you need SOX etc.

My £950 Creek CD50 CD player bought in 2016 does not handle PE (I asked Mike Creek).
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Actually we are not exclusively talking about expensive Japanese imports here...

...thousands of early UK CD albums are affected.

As this is a Hi-Fi forum I would suggest that it is a mute point as to whether the sound is ruined.

).
    I don't see anyway it can sound 'ruined' but it won't be the correct balance I agree.

I think I read somewhere that not compensating would give a 2dB lift to the HF but I can't find that now.

Have you compared a CD with pre-emphasis on a player that compensates and one that doesn't?

I have some early CDs so I will have to check to see if they qualify. None of them sound poor though and I doubt either of my DACs has compensation.

HDCD is another one where people say they sound bad' if not decoded, but they don't. I have one of those I had for years before I noticed the logo on the case. Never noticed anything wrong with the sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Think it was 10db at the 10khz point added in the analogue domain. It was used to reduce noise, but a to d convertors by late 80's got so good it wasn't needed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

I remember owning a Cambridge Audio CD2 back in the late eighties that had an LED to show de-emphasis was on or off. I also remember that Howard Jones' album was recorded that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast