+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDs with Pre-Emphasis

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

And from his original link, if you follow that there's also this:

Here is an incomplete list of pre-emphasis CDs.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adam.

Given the amount of time people discuss things like cables, fuses etc on Hi-Fi forums - it amazes me that so few people seem to know or care about pre-emphasis.

I wonder how people on here have "Dare" by The Human League or the first two Heaven 17 albums, or China Crisis "Working With Fire and Steel", OMD "Architecture & Morality", The Blue Nile "Hats" etc etc...

...like I say we are not talking obscure albums here.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Given the amount of time people discuss things like cables, fuses etc on Hi-Fi forums - it amazes me that so few people seem to know or care about pre-emphasis.

I wonder how people on here have "Dare" by The Human League or the first two Heaven 17 albums, or China Crisis "Working With Fire and Steel", OMD "Architecture & Morality", The Blue Nile "Hats" etc etc...

...like I say we are not talking obscure albums here.
    Not all releases of those albums will have pre-emphasis though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not all releases of those albums will have pre-emphasis though.
    True - but if you are like me and detest modern brickwalled remasters...

...you will want the first UK CD (which is usually the one with Pre-Emphasis).

Having gone to the trouble of finding a decent mastering - it seems foolish to not then deal with the pre-emphasis.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    True - but if you are like me and detest modern brickwalled remasters...

...you will want the first UK CD (which is usually the one with Pre-Emphasis).

Having gone to the trouble of finding a decent mastering - it seems foolish to not then deal with the pre-emphasis.
    Agreed on all counts. Multi band EQ will compensate, just gradually reduce all frequencies after 1Khz.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

How does the owner of early CDs know they have PE, or are we blaming it for any CD that sounds 'bad'. In which case its very many.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    How does the owner of early CDs know they have PE, or are we blaming it for any CD that sounds 'bad'. In which case its very many.
    Read the full thread - there is nothing to tell you whether the disc has PE on the CD or booklet.

You need to consult one of the lists in this thread or Discogs (for the precise issue of a certain album).

My old 1990s Cambridge Dacmagic 2 MkII had a handy light showing the presence of PE (but new kit won't).

The disturbing thing is CD Player manufacturers have dropped the PE decoding from their machines over the last 20 years.

The only way round this is to create flacs and manually de-emphasize them using SOX (or similar).
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    You will have to search the internet for every catalogue number.

I have hundreds of CDs and none of them sound 'bad'. No classical music though if that's what you mean. I know some Classical enthusiast who are fussy about the recording and production qualities. But that would be the same on any medium.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

My first ever CD (Clannad - Legend) had it but I didn't know until much later.

It does make Maire Brennan's voice more ethereal sounding I've got to say!

I'm Dennis.

I had no inkling of this, and assumed just mixdown variation and compression were the only variables.

Does this pre-emphasis parallel that in FM?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast