+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linkwitz has ruined conventional speakers for me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ta muchly.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

Thanks Kevin and Steve, Halfway Tree it is. Found this:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...t=halfway+tree
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Nor sure I can tell which Linkwitz model you were listening to. They are not all created equal.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

It was the ones shown in the link I posted, the Minis. Not the 521s.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

OK
    Was that the minis with additional subs?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Mike.

This is the reason I don't listen to other systems or go to shows, just makes you doubt your own system AND costs you more money

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    This is the reason I don't listen to other systems or go to shows, just makes you doubt your own system AND costs you more money
    Reading forums can do that as well.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

I often wonder what would happen if I tried my first system against what I have now. I still have my first system, so it could be done.
    Would the extra expenditure justify the perceived increase in sound quality, or would it sound nearly as good?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Almost always found the opposite to be true with shows, almost always come away thinking my system is a lot better than I previously thought it was. And wondering how it's possible to spend so much money and still have a crap sound.

Some of the NEBO meets with people's own systems, that's a different matter. They did open my eyes and cost me some money. But I did get better sound as a result.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Thanks Kevin and Steve, Halfway Tree it is. Found this:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...t=halfway+tree
    Not a lot to add to what is in that thread, Steve, other than if you go down the kit route Dr. Frank Brenner who runs the Linkwitz.com site is a great guy to work with. The LXMini kit is really well thought out, everything fits well and is easy to put together. Frank is an old friend of Siegfried Linkwitz and also maintains the Linkwitzlab website and OPLUG forum since Siegfried's passing.

I originally just bought the licence and plans with the intention of building the speakers from scratch (which is what I did with the LX521s). However, I found that it was just as expensive to buy the platic pipe etc (minimum orders etc) so went with the kit. I am glad I did. Saved a lot of hassle.

At home mine are in the living room and for music I'm using a Squeezebox Touch>>Benchmark DAC 1 HDR>>MiniDSP2x4HD>>Audiolab 8000x7 multi-channel amp (4 channels of the 7). A single switch turns everything on and off which makes it easy for everyone. I don't find the need to have an additional bass unit, but I don't play that loud in the house. That was a big room at NEBO and I knew they would need some help at the bottom end (they roll off after about 45Hz) so that's why I brought the bass units from the LX521s.

If you are thinking of using or adding a bass unit later (I like the look of the LXMini+2) then I would look at either the Pass ASP, MiniDSP4x10HD or using software EQ/x-overs if you use a PC. The advantage to using a MiniDSP or software is that you can tweak to your room and personal taste. You can also try the simplified x-over/EQ mods developed by Dave Reite and Tom Christiansen. This configuration enables the LXMinis to play a bit louder with a slight loss of soundstage. But the difference is subtle. I imagine the Pass ASP has a similar configuration. With the Pass ASP you have a fixed setup which you can't change, but might be better if you listen to a lot of vinyl. As always, compromises.

Happy to answer questions.

cheers
    Gordon

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Almost always found the opposite to be true with shows, almost always come away thinking my system is a lot better than I previously thought it was. And wondering how it's possible to spend so much money and still have a crap sound.
    That mirrors my own experience. But then the venues for audio shows are the least best places to demonstrate systems. Large speakers fare particularly badly, but small ("bookshelf") speakers can sound remarkably good.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast