+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linkwitz has ruined conventional speakers for me

I'm Steve.

Default Linkwitz has ruined conventional speakers for me

I had plans to change my speakers next year, some floorstanders from KEF or Q Acoustics maybe. Or scratch a longtime TL itch with something big from PMC. But hearing some speakers from Linkwitz at the weekend may have changed all that with their total lack of 'boxiness'. The sound for me was totally addictive, and I don't know if I'll ever hear my own speakers the same way again.

I know there are other alternatives to loudspeaker cabinets, but these really bowled me over. The owner Gordon spoke to me briefly about his set up, but it all went over my head. What to, what to do... I might just throw in the towel and get a nice Alba mini system
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

they do look interesting i have to say. not heard any of course but i like what i see. it has possibilities that boxes dont have. ive ended up with wierd headphones lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Steve, you know that there is a kit available? https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Store/LXmini.htm
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm charles.

Very clever chap was Mr. Linkwitz. I have heard his Orions driven by 8 channels and enjoyed them a lot. Which model are you talking about?

I'm Kevin.

LxMini I believe.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm charles.

Thanks Kevin. Our posts were just 3 minutes apart so I missed your link. Lots of love for these on some of the other forums. The guy who designed the Neurochrome amps uses them I think.

I'm Martin.

How big is your room Steve?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Probably not big enough. About 5M x 4M, which on the face of it seems large-ish, but for practical reasons (domestic harmony) my speakers do need to be fairly close to the back wall (about 6-700mm).

Another problem is the size of my wallet - new prices are a bit too much for me (I know savings can be made by making from a kit, but my attempt would result in a speaker looking like an old bedside cabinet that's been rescued from a skip, and likely to sound like one).

And no used ones that I can see, but I will be keeping my eyes peeled. I fancy their Sirius Studio, which looks more likely to work in smaller rooms. I may even get over it and forget how they sounded... until I hear one again

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Was thinking you could build the Linkwitz 521

You fix stuff for a living sure you could knock something up man.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Was thinking you could build the Linkwitz 521

You fix stuff for a living sure you could knock something up man.
    Yeah it would look knocked up too. I know a mechanic who's good with engines but i wouldn't get in a plane he'd worked on. I don't have the skills nor the courage to take on something like that Tempting though it is, I'd rather pay someone who's not gonna balls it up...

My saving up starts this week, and I'll see where we are next year

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast