+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linkwitz has ruined conventional speakers for me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    This is the reason I don't listen to other systems or go to shows, just makes you doubt your own system AND costs you more money
    I know what you mean, if I'd minded my own business I could still be happily living with my Fidelity HF45 mono record player
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    Not a lot to add to what is in that thread, Steve, other than if you go down the kit route Dr. Frank Brenner who runs the Linkwitz.com site is a great guy to work with. The LXMini kit is really well thought out, everything fits well and is easy to put together. Frank is an old friend of Siegfried Linkwitz and also maintains the Linkwitzlab website and OPLUG forum since Siegfried's passing.

I originally just bought the licence and plans with the intention of building the speakers from scratch (which is what I did with the LX521s). However, I found that it was just as expensive to buy the platic pipe etc (minimum orders etc) so went with the kit. I am glad I did. Saved a lot of hassle.

At home mine are in the living room and for music I'm using a Squeezebox Touch>>Benchmark DAC 1 HDR>>MiniDSP2x4HD>>Audiolab 8000x7 multi-channel amp (4 channels of the 7). A single switch turns everything on and off which makes it easy for everyone. I don't find the need to have an additional bass unit, but I don't play that loud in the house. That was a big room at NEBO and I knew they would need some help at the bottom end (they roll off after about 45Hz) so that's why I brought the bass units from the LX521s.

If you are thinking of using or adding a bass unit later (I like the look of the LXMini+2) then I would look at either the Pass ASP, MiniDSP4x10HD or using software EQ/x-overs if you use a PC. The advantage to using a MiniDSP or software is that you can tweak to your room and personal taste. You can also try the simplified x-over/EQ mods developed by Dave Reite and Tom Christiansen. This configuration enables the LXMinis to play a bit louder with a slight loss of soundstage. But the difference is subtle. I imagine the Pass ASP has a similar configuration. With the Pass ASP you have a fixed setup which you can't change, but might be better if you listen to a lot of vinyl. As always, compromises.

Happy to answer questions.

cheers
    Gordon
    Hi Gordon,

I started out thinking that buying something in kit form would be a tall order for a numpty like me, but the more I read about this (LX Minis) the more I think "Hmm, maybe I could"

But I would like a decent bass, so I would almost certainly add a sub - the LX Studio looks like a good fit. I thought the bass performance of the subs you brought to NEBO to be all I'd ever need, and then some. Would that be down to the way the units are positioned in their cabinets, or have you ever tried other subs with satisfactory results?

One more question, which may be of particular interest to some folk on here, does the LX521 need as much space around them as (strongly) advised on the Linkwitz website?

Apologies if my questions seem a bit daft, but when it comes to learning about DIY audio projects, this is day one for me!

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Gordon.

Unfortunately, like many dipoles the LX521s do need space - at least the 65 cubic metres as suggested on the Linkwitz site. Ideally they need at least 1m to the nearest reflecting surface. My music room which is separate from the house (I can play as loud as I want without upsetting anyone - well, except my slowly developing tinnitus! ) is about 79 cu. m, but is long and narrow (9mx3.5m), so I can't quite meet the 1m sidewall distance, but I can get 2m from the frontwall which helps compensate. The upper baffle can also be toed in a bit which increases the distance to the sidewall. Essentially what I'm trying to do is ensure the direct sound reaches me well before the reflected sound.

The LXMinis on the other hand were designed to work well much closer to any reflecting surface and in a much smaller room. If you can manage a half metre from the front wall (perhaps even less) and the same from a side wall you should be OK. The rear wave is attenuated to a large extent in the LXMini, so the space requirements are considerably less than the LX521. There are people who have successfully used a conventional closed box sub with the minis, so it's not strictly necessary to use the Linkwitz dipole +2 sub or the LX521 sub. I would only recommend the LX521 sub if you can site them at least a metre from the front wall. The LXMini+2 sub is easier to place.

When it comes to imaging and soundstage the LXMini more than equals the LX521 IMO. You can sit way off centre and still get a rock solid instrument/singer placement and soundstage. The LX521 has more weight to the presentation even when using the LX521 sub with the LXMini primarily because of the 8" midbass driver that the LX521 uses. But, even without any low bass unit the LXMinis still provide decent bass in my living room due to some lucky room reinforcement at about 50Hz.

I think if the LXMinis were going to be my main speakers, (and I'd be perfectly happy to have them as my main speakers if I didn't already have the LX521s - the Minis didn't exist when I bought the LX521 plans) I would be looking at getting them set up first and then going for whatever bass unit might best fit. I would look at getting something like this Emotiva 8 channel amp to get me up and running. You might be able to find a used MiniDSP4x10HD or the now discontinued NanoDigi2x8 with which you can use your own choice of DACs (just make sure thay are all the same). You can build it slowly this way without having to invest a lot up front.

I'm Steve.

Thank you Gordon, all useful information, and the idea that I can introduce it bit by bit without effectively ditching everything and starting over certainly appeals. Probably setting myself up for a new wave of upgraditis though

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

I will contact gordon and asked him to glance at this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234