+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linkwitz has ruined conventional speakers for me

I'm Alan.

I've been looking into the possibility as well.
    The complete kit looks like the safest way to go, something like £650 so not too much for the performance on offer.

The kit includes the DSP (frequency correction) unit but there is an analogue filter unit that can be used instead, designed by Nelson Pass. This would be my choice and reportedly gives identical performance.
    You do need two quality stereo power amps as well, recommended minimum power of 80W for the bass and 25W for the treble.

I'm tempted..
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have you a link to the analogue crossover Alan?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I had plans to change my speakers next year, some floorstanders from KEF or Q Acoustics maybe. Or scratch a longtime TL itch with something big from PMC. But hearing some speakers from Linkwitz at the weekend may have changed all that with their total lack of 'boxiness'. The sound for me was totally addictive, and I don't know if I'll ever hear my own speakers the same way again.

I know there are other alternatives to loudspeaker cabinets, but these really bowled me over. The owner Gordon spoke to me briefly about his set up, but it all went over my head. What to, what to do... I might just throw in the towel and get a nice Alba mini system
    They look very interesting Steve.

If I had the money I cold be very tempted to have a go at building the LX521's I think with drivers this is about €4400.00 in a nice finish, and then you need the power amp which adds on €2690.00. All in about £6100 at todays X-rates, yes quite a bit, but if they sound as good as others say then they could be absolute giant killers in terms of end game SQ, as long as the front end into it was of good quality.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

If I had the money I cold be very tempted to have a go at building the LX521's I think with drivers this is about €4400.00 in a nice finish, and then you need the power amp which adds on €2690.00. All in about £6100 at todays X-rates, yes quite a bit, but if they sound as good as others say then they could be absolute giant killers in terms of end game SQ, as long as the front end into it was of good quality.
    The 521 are one of the best loudspeakers I have ever heard. Possibly the best as they certainly have the best imaging I've heard, and by a country mile. Assuming you've got the space to exploit it fully as they need to be a fair distance from side walls, so no use in my room.

Compared to what six grand buys you retail there is absolutely no competition to them whatsoever.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The 521 are one of the best loudspeakers I have ever heard. Possibly the best as they certainly have the best imaging I've heard, and by a country mile. Assuming you've got the space to exploit it fully as they need to be a fair distance from side walls, so no use in my room.

Compared to what six grand buys you retail there is absolutely no competition to them whatsoever.
    Thanks Martin, they do sound very interesting, I will have to do some more investigating I think.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

But if all you have to add to that is a top notch front end (which you already have), it starts to look like a bit of a bargain (sort of) for what you then have. Shame that the LX521 needs so much space. Maybe the LX Mini's or Studios are the way to go, the Linkwitz blurb says they will work in even the tiniest of spaces. Quite a bit cheaper too.

If the owner of the set up I heard last weekend were to post on here about it (I only know his name was Gordon) I'm sure it would be of great interest to us. Where are you Gordon?

Already started saving up - got a £10 tip off a customer today, so nearly there
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

If the owner of the set up I heard last weekend were to post on here about it (I only know his name was Gordon) I'm sure it would be of great interest to us. Where are you Gordon?
    I think he goes by the user name Halfway Tree
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Contact Gordon Halftree. He will give you all the help and advice you need. Heez a diamond geezer.

I'm Dennis.

Over the last few years I have received reports form many that the SQ is way ahead of many conventional designs.
    Linkwitz certainly was a pioneering and innovative developer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast