+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Isolation platform for heavy speakers

I'm Stuart.

Default Isolation platform for heavy speakers

Morning all
    Just about to take delivery of (floor standing) speakers weighing in at 20kg each and considering best way of raising them off the floor (they’re 76cm high)

not against spending (sensible) cash on something commercially made but also considering making something myself. I’m a competent DIYer but not a carpenter.

I have some 50 year old mahogany planks which were originally the surround for an old fireplace. Length is fine; width is 15cm, height 3cm.

I’m considering cutting two lengths of around 37cm (speaker width) but as the speakers are 25cm deep, I’m thinking about joining 2 planks together.

On top of the wood, I’m considering using some sorbothane squares (50*50*11) which should give enough support for the weight of the speakers.

underneath the planks, I’m wondering if to fit some tee nuts and then screwing in spiked feet/speaker spikes.

if this can be made to work without; 1) looking rubbish and 2) being fundamentally unstable, then I’m not really bothered that I’m only raising the speakers by 3/4 cm. Some people simply use these speakers on the floor with nothing underneath.

I would very much appreciate any comments from anyone who has u dertaken anything similar in the past. my main concern, I suppose, is weight distributions nd rigidity. the last things I would want to do is to make something which fails structurally and the speakers topple or similar.

things I’m thinking about are; how to attach the two planks together, how many sorbothane feet (4 or 6) and now many spikes (one each corner or one in the middle too, so 6 per speaker).

I would appreciate any words of wisdom, even if it’s ‘don’t waste your time, because…………’

Thanks.

I'm Kevin.

I have supported my speakers (27.2kg) on Isoacoustics Isopucks.It cost me a couple of hundred Euros, but the sound quality improved.
    They simply fit under the speaker, and decoupled my speakers from a suspended wooden floor.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Raising speakers to a suitable height for the listening position can be helpful.

As for isolation, which is a separate thing, if you have a concrete floor, I can't see isolation offering anything.

With a suspended floor things get complex. Presumably isolation would be expected to act at bass frequencies, you would need measuring equipment to determine the decoupling results, as the interaction between combinations of speaker mass versus isolation compliance would be anybody's guess otherwise.

I don't attempt to isolate speakers myself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

I found that rubber blanking grommets below speaker spike cups gave me tidied up the bass nicely. I also use a sandwich of tile with gardening kneeling pad between helps a little too but has the big plus, with carpet, to allow me to slide the speakers about to fine tune sound

+ Reply to Thread