+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered the best vintage MONO speaker driver?

I'm steve.

In its day many considered the acoustical (quad) corner ribbon,
    Rather expensive and rare, but the ribbon tweeter is quite something,
    Probably very slightly let down by the bass driver.
    The large klipschorn and tannoy where also well regarded ?
    I have a book on this very subject somewhere, Written In the 50s
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Andrew.

I've a SPU mono GM mk 2 https://www.ortofon.com/spu-mono-p-608

I've considered getting a new 12" tonearm and having it wired mono. I have also a fully dual mono phonostage which I'd considered using just one channel and
    getting a RCA adapter for mono duties. That way I'd have mono pickup, tonearm wiring, phonostage, and of course just going through one channel on the amp to a mono speaker. Theoretically I can do also this now but it's always nice to have new suggestions and ideas.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Then a single Mono Quad ESL57 is the way to go as has been said that was the original intention of the design as it was only or mainly mono recordings at the time . When stereo became more popular then they were slightly changed to be used as a pair but it is very possible to get a current speaker returned to the mono voicing which would then be a real authentic full mono set up .

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I've a SPU mono GM mk 2 https://www.ortofon.com/spu-mono-p-608

I've considered getting a new 12" tonearm and having it wired mono. I have also a fully dual mono phonostage which I'd considered using just one channel and
    getting a RCA adapter for mono duties. That way I'd have mono pickup, tonearm wiring, phonostage, and of course just going through one channel on the amp to a mono speaker. Theoretically I can do also this now but it's always nice to have new suggestions and ideas.
    How many contact 'pips' are there on the Ortofon cartridge connector? If 4, then there is no need to have an arm specially re-wired. Just leave the arm as it is, the two leads will carry identical signals, so you don't even have to do anything with the preamp.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Then a single Mono Quad ESL57 is the way to go as has been said that was the original intention of the design as it was only or mainly mono recordings at the time . When stereo became more popular then they were slightly changed to be used as a pair but it is very possible to get a current speaker returned to the mono voicing which would then be a real authentic full mono set up .
    I remember seeing a diagram of how the sound spread across the panel at different times to make it sound better, was this p related to just height or part of the L/R stereo voicing? (Which would presumably mean they have to be used in strict L/R positions or they'd sound wrong, which I've not heard of.)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

I should have a rek-o-cut III equaliser on its way from the US of A. More experimentation with some of my early pressings. Should be a hoot when using with MONO STUFF.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm charles.

Try these guys: http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/speakers.html

They sometimes have the odd field coil driver!

Also Norelco (Philips)

Many others but perhaps avoid the Fostex which tend to shout and also Visaton B200 which have a nasty upper midrange peak which is a pity because they are sensitive and beautifully detailed. I tried a simple notch filter but it killed the life that these are known for. The best but still not satisfactory solution was to tame the mids mechanically. I found mounting two 4" foam paint rollers vertically, one above the other in front of the cone angled slightly in towards the centre helped. These were on OB. The foam absorbs a little of the offensive range and aids dispersion. This ugly looking contraption is best hidden behind a speaker grill.

I also tried a phase plug by removing the dust cover and placing a 15/16" socket on the magnet. Changed the sound but don't think it helped much.

There were some Saba greencones for sale a while ago which would be a good candidate and cheap too. Good luck.
    Last edited by sailor; 05-02-2022 at 20:05.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Charles, I'll put your suggestions on a LONG list!!!!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Simple question. I've got a growing collection of MONO records and fancy a MONO only speaker to do things properly. Things is, I know bugger all about what's considered to be a good driver. Ideally I'd like something as good as it gets and it has to be vintage. OK, what do you guys suggest?
    I first heard a Quad ESL at the 1956 Radio Show Olympia London a single speaker, voiced for mono. It was so "real", in 1957 the ESL was re-voiced for stereo, recently my wife reminded me I bought new my first Quad 57's in 1979 not as I thought 1984. It may be worth contacting Quad or One Thing Audio to see if a Quad 57 could be voiced for mono, what the difference is I do not know but my young ears were impressed & still are with my One Thing Audio version.

As Peter Walker said "with the right amplifier they do produce bass" I use a Rogue Titan Atlas Magnum with KT 120's & Audyn Reference output caps coupled with Mills resistors Peter Walker was correct

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by palace View Post
    I first heard a Quad ESL at the 1956 Radio Show Olympia London a single speaker, voiced for mono. It was so "real", in 1957 the ESL was re-voiced for stereo, recently my wife reminded me I bought new my first Quad 57's in 1979 not as I thought 1984. It may be worth contacting Quad or One Thing Audio to see if a Quad 57 could be voiced for mono, what the difference is I do not know but my young ears were impressed & still are with my One Thing Audio version.

As Peter Walker said "with the right amplifier they do produce bass" I use a Rogue Titan Atlas Magnum with KT 120's & Audyn Reference output caps coupled with Mills resistors Peter Walker was correct

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I own a pair of OTA Quad 57's! Must admit to not dragging mine out of the attic. I do however now use a Rek-o-kut III Re-equaliser when the mood takes me and this is fed into two very large Tannoy Monitor 15" gold speakers, which I love. They do a very fine job of reproducing MONO reproduction. Perhaps not the best but I'm more than happy with the soundstage.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast