+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Chris Rogers PRO9-TL Transmission Line speakers

I'm Adam.

Default FS: Chris Rogers PRO9-TL Transmission Line speakers

Listed here on behalf of my good friend and fellow reviewer, Neville Roberts, are his magnificnent Chris Rogers PRO9-TL loudspeakers that he's finally moving on after over 30 years. His words on them are below:

I am reluctantly selling a pair of original Chris Rogers PRO9-TL quarter-wave transmission line loudspeakers finished in teak wood veneer and based around the classic KEF B139 bass driver. These are the actual speakers that have featured in many of my reviews for Hi-Fi Choice magazine over the years. Based on the original Rogers’ design from Practical Hi-Fi and Audio, October 1976, these speakers have been significantly upgraded over the years with new Audax HD12 tweeters fitted with Russ Andrews’ Focus Rings and new Peerless K040-MRF midrange, all replaced recently. The switches of the crossovers have been removed and then completely rebuilt with audiophile components throughout, including ClarityCap polypropylene capacitors, Mills audio grade resistors, and Mundorf 99% silver/1% gold wiring.

The cabinets are in good condition for their age. The teak veneer has bubbled slightly in places but has been well looked-after with wax and teak oil. Collection only from Ferndown in Dorset.

All I can add is to say that I've heard them on a few occasions and they sound absolutely stunning - I'd give them a home myself if I wasn't already somewhat over-burdened with large loudspeakers!

Asking price is a silly low £150 and, as above, they must be collected from Ferndown in Dorset. Please note they are also big and heavy. If you're interested, please send me a PM and I'll pass on Neville's contact details.

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Lawrence.

Nice have PM'd a new member who's looking into TLs about these

I'm Geoff.

Amazing bargain. I remember these.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Look remarkably like the speakers in here

Although they don't seem to have the knobs on the front any more as per fashion.

https://images.app.goo.gl/PAjPCBWqCLuJRv67A
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 18-10-2021 at 23:48.

I'm Lawrence.

FYI The earlier TL designs had a Coles/ITT supertweeter but that shouldn't be needed here as this tweeter is better behaved up top.

I'm Adrian.

Adam, PM sent
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stuart.

have PMd Adam.
    2nd in queue

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Look remarkably like the speakers in here

Although they don't seem to have the knobs on the front any more as per fashion.

https://images.app.goo.gl/PAjPCBWqCLuJRv67A
    you can see the faint marks on the baffle where they used to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    you can see the faint marks on the baffle where they used to be.
    Picked these up from Neville Roberts on Saturday, what a lovely chap he is, very knowable and so helpful, he also has a lovely hifi system.

The speakers have been very well looked for and upgraded with replacement X-overs to the original kit with much better components, Neville removed the attenuators I believe when he did the x-overs and put high quality resistors in their place to achieve neutrality. As mentioned both tweeters and mids where replaced with new ones same as the original spec.

I am rather amazed how these speakers sound and will be doing a separate right up elsewhere.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Picked these up from Neville Roberts on Saturday, what a lovely chap he is, very knowable and so helpful, he also has a lovely hifi system.

The speakers have been very well looked for and upgraded with replacement X-overs to the original kit with much better components, Neville removed the attenuators I believe when he did the x-overs and put high quality resistors in their place to achieve neutrality. As mentioned both tweeters and mids where replaced with new ones same as the original spec.

I am rather amazed how these speakers sound and will be doing a separate right up elsewhere.
    I bet they are excellent, at the price asked he was pretty much giving them away.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast