+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burson OP amp-Topping D10s Dac

I'm Tony.

Default Burson OP amp-Topping D10s Dac

Hi guys, I was given a Burson OP amp by one of the trade guys on here (SS-Audio) to try out free of charge to try out on my Topping D10s Dac.

The op amp is a V5i-D-1 and just simply replaces the stock op amp in the Topping Dac.

Replacing the op amp is simple but you have to take the DAC apart to get the PCB out of the DAC but it's no big issues just remove four Allen screws on the front and on the back of the DAC and locate and remove the stock op-amp but take a photo before you remove it and just fit the new op-amp in the same socket but there's a small indent on the socket and you make sure that the new op-amp lines up with that indent, just take a look at the replacement op-amp (there's one leg longer I think, it was a while ago that I did this) anyway it's all pretty simple then reassemble the DAC and you're good to go.

Have to say that the difference was huge, much much better sound, especially bass and the sound in general was much a clearer clean sound but not glass like teeth hurting sound and much more detailed with the Burson op-amp and a real upgrade IMO.

I can listen for hours to the Topping and it's very enjoyable not that it wasn't enjoyable with the stock op-amp but I like it better with the Burson although I have read a massive thread on one of those measurement websites saying that op-amp rolling is pointless as far as measurements are concerned but I can certainly hear a difference and for the better IMO.

I think to buy the Burson op-amp it's about £40 so wether that's worth it plus the cost of the DAC @ £100 I can't really say cause £140 gets you a decent DAC these days but if you have an old DAC that you maybe paid around the £100 for then for £40 you can get a good upgrade for not very much money IMO.

I received a PM from John of SS-Audio and he asked me if I would like to try the upgraded op-amp in return for a review but there was no attempt made to make write a favourable review he just wanted a review and I was impressed with the upgrade and have written this review which I hope helps someone thinking about op-amp rolling.

The op-amp came from Hong Kong in about two weeks and the company seem a decent company to deal with although I haven't bought from them and there's been no pressure to leave this review even though I've had the op-amp for months there has however been a couple of gentle nudges from John but absolutely no pressure from him.

Thanks for reading so far and if anyone has any further questions then don't hesitate to ask but I think the review covers everything, no doubt John will respond to this and to anyone else interested in his product.

Tony

I'm Lawrence.

I got several Burson op amps in a good deal a while ago. I have a nice DAC by Chinese designer and eBay seller Raindrop Hui that takes 6 mono op amps, so I was able to replace them all with Bursons and it certainly improved the sound.

+ Reply to Thread