+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kef Reference

I'm Lawrence.

I was going to suggest the 50s if you didn't have room for the 80s, or struggle to find any

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I was going to suggest the 50s if you didn't have room for the 80s, or struggle to find any
    thanks.
    I’ve been in touch with Martin following his offer of the 50s. He kindly linked me to his previous post where I discovered that the 50s need far more space behind them then I have available. I’m really disappointed that they’re a ‘no’ as well - I really like how they look.
    I appreciate that Super Compacts aren’t TL but just wondering if they should be considered?
    Stuart

I'm Lawrence.

I used my 80s one foot from the rear wall, they are front ported from the line. Where did you read that they need to be away from the wall?

I'm Stuart.

in one of Macca’s old posts. We’ve been in touch by PM and he kindly offered me a pair of 50s.
    I need to go back and see if I’ve misread or misunderstood it. Quite possibly I have in view of your comments.
    Thanks

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    I appreciate that Super Compacts aren’t TL but just wondering if they should be considered?
    Stuart
    Some like them, but I didn't think they were particularly special.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

If you are still interested in classic speakers that are KEF derived or built (IMFs include KEF drivers), you could do worse than a set of KEF Reference 104AB's or the previous very similar 104 speaker, they have great transparency and at least second-hand parts are available. A proper 'Classic' design and beginning to be recognised as such, prices for good examples are rising and I anticipate will get rather steep soon.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Duplicate post

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    in one of Macca’s old posts. We’ve been in touch by PM and he kindly offered me a pair of 50s.
    I need to go back and see if I’ve misread or misunderstood it. Quite possibly I have in view of your comments.
    Thanks
    Every room will be different. You can excite a certain node in any room and moving the speakers back and forth can help, so even going closer could sometimes work. Although it's generally true that placing speakers closer to the rear wall changes the balance towards the bass (some are voiced to be against the wall and sound thin otherwise).

In almost all cases putting big speakers with rear ports close to the wall is bad, although I found my Celestion A3s didn't mind at all which was a surprise. The IMFs aren't rear ported so don't suffer from this.

In the case of the IMFs some people used to bass reflex rather than transmission line say the bass is too light. In fact that is probably because it's very neutral and goes very low but without and exaggeration, which reflex speakers tend to have around the port tuning, it makes them sound bigger and bassier but it's not neutral. So again a reason you shouldn't worry too much about the wall.

Lastly I've learned though much trial and error that a "strong" amp can help with bass control. Whether that's watts, current or damping factor I'm not sure. I suspect it's a combination of all 3. You can actually get a great tight sound from a Yamaha pro amp for under £150 if you don't mind the pro looks. That way you can have big speakers in a modest room not far from the wall. You'd need a pre as well though, unless you have digital volume at source. It has attenuation knobs on the front which can keep you going while you look for a pre.

So I wouldn't be concerned about the wall, but as I said each room is different. If you can get them at a good price and they are in nice condition then you should be able to move them on quickly, there's plenty of demand for the classic IMFs.

Having said all that I'd be interested to read Martin's comments as people's experiences can differ according to room, system and personal taste. Can you paste a link in the thread?

I'm Stuart.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to click on this link;

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ight=imf+tls50

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks, the comments about being close to the wall in a small room seem to be surmiseb rather than from experience, and I've tried the 80s close to the wall so I think you'll be ok. Having said that every room is different.

The last comment from DJSR on the need for a high damping factor aligns with mine, and his opinions were very well respected when he was on the forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast