+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kef Reference

I'm Stuart.

Default Kef Reference

morning all
    Having previously asked about Celestions, I had lots of great/helpful answers and several pointed me towards older KEFs as a possible alternative.
    I’ve come across a pair of model two-twos and before I do anything, just wanted to ask opinions.
    Room 4.3 * 3.8m. Amp Rega Brio 50 WPC.
    Any things I should look for in particular? Any weak points on these? Any common faults/items needing repairs?
    Replacement parts/driver availability?
    Thanks so much for any help if only to say ‘they’re not for you’.

I'm Martin.

Very good speakers but low impedance, so I'm not sure you will get the best out of them with the Brio amp which is not designed for 'difficult' speaker loads.

Foam can deteriorate on the driver surrounds, but that is repairable. Tricky though as there are drivers inside the cabs.

You might be better off looking for a Rega speaker if you want to keep the amplifier long term.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Very good speakers but low impedance, so I'm not sure you will get the best out of them with the Brio amp which is not designed for 'difficult' speaker loads.

Foam can deteriorate on the driver surrounds, but that is repairable. Tricky though as there are drivers inside the cabs.

You might be better off looking for a Rega speaker if you want to keep the amplifier long term.
    Thanks, Martin

I’m not against upgrading the Brio but with budget not unlimited, I’d need a compelling reason to do so. And because the KEFs would have been an option but no more, that probably isn’t a good enough reason for me.

I realise that Rega speakers are the sensible and sound advice but (bit embarrassed here) I simply don’t like how they look. I realise that it’s a very personal thing but I can’t feel any love for those side firing woofers!

Stuart

I'm Lawrence.

You won't hear them at their best with the Brio. You're better off with some 104/2s with their "conjugate load matching" but be prepared to do the inner bass speakers' doughnuts (and outer surrounds if they're the later biwire version) and even the tweeter ferrofluid, unless you pay more for a serviced pair.

When you say your forever speakers could be Celestion 44s or some older KEFs, I'll say it again, try some IMF TLS80s!!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You won't hear them at their best with the Brio. You're better off with some 104/2s with their "conjugate load matching" but be prepared to do the inner bass speakers' doughnuts (and outer surrounds if they're the later biwire version) and even the tweeter ferrofluid, unless you pay more for a serviced pair.

When you say your forever speakers could be Celestion 44s or some older KEFs, I'll say it again, try some IMF TLS80s!!
    Thank you Lawrence

I have to be honest and say I’d overlooked your comment about the TLS80s. Apologies.

I know precisely nothing about IMF speakers but will now make the effort to read what I can and see what’s around.

Stuart

I'm Geoff.

The big IMFs are incredibly heavy, as in being a two man job to shift them safely .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The big IMFs are incredibly heavy, as in being a two man job to shift them safely .
    just starting to dawn on me just how big/heavy these are. even the TLS50s look big enough for my lounge.

I’m not surprised that there appears to be almost nothing for sale at the moment. Still, I’ll keep looking - the same as I’m doing for several other makes/models.

the sad thing is that if I do find anything I like the look of then it’s going to have to be ‘one in, one out’

I'm Geoff.

Nice looking set of TLS 80 Mk.II here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334166592...4-633737353438
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

I think I paid £400 for mine with the usual scratches on the top and the odd one on the side. One B110 was slightly scratchy but I sorted it with some sound advice from @edward . The B139s had the odd dint/scratch which seems par for the course for some reason.

In terms of sound they are worth what's being asked on eBay given the restoration if the cabinets and drivers are basically mint. In fact you'll not find anything like them in the market today as far as I know. I'd say £5k+ easy if there was something like them now looking at current prices.

Yes I know imaging is not top class but I didn't find it bad at all as some say, and their presence and soundstage are unrivalled (with the exception of the biggest Tannoys) so it's just a matter of taste.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    just starting to dawn on me just how big/heavy these are. even the TLS50s look big enough for my lounge.

I’m not surprised that there appears to be almost nothing for sale at the moment. Still, I’ll keep looking - the same as I’m doing for several other makes/models.

the sad thing is that if I do find anything I like the look of then it’s going to have to be ‘one in, one out’
    I have some TLS 50 that I would sell.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast