+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Feeding the Tannoys

I'm Geoff.

Have you considered that it may just be the nature of your particular Tannoys to sound a bit 'laid back'? Maybe you need something a bit more forthright in presentation. Get a listen to some larger Regas if you can, they tend to sound fairly open and revealing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

Thank you, Walpurgis but any thoughts of changing the Tannoys would be a psychological grenade in this house. We motored all th way from near Boston to Middlesborogh to pick them up - all the family thought I was crazy to do that "just for a pair of 2nd hand speakers?!" My wife did not like them in the room but has gone from ;theyll have to go" to settling down to an evening listening to Malcolm Arnold's symphony No 5 and selecting a volume setting I would never have thought she would rise to.. What a concert we enjoyed! A moving experience. I think the tannoys are here to stay. It seems that every time I make an upgrade of component, as recommended on this forum, it's almost like getting a new pair of speakers (capacitors are much lighter to move around, these speakers are heavy!) But I may buy the odd speaker bargain to upgrade for the sheer fun of it and maybe pass on to any daughter who's interested. Ir's such an interesting subject. I now realise why am blessed with such big ears!

I'm Dennis.

I understand your passion and desire, travelling to buy speakers.

In Oct '17, I went with a friend to Berlin to buy my speakers, the journey costing me nearly £2k for both of us to travel and stay for two nights on the way, he driving. We audiophiles are all quite mad, but in an innocuous kind of way, no offence intended.

I'm Graham.

You had obviously seen the light Pharos! :-} My wife was pretty grumpy about upgrading speakers, she was attached to the little Mission speakers she had spotted as part of a set-up she spotted in a 2nd hand furniture shop. £40.00 for a CD player, Technics 30 Watt/channel amplifier and tuner. But having listened to some dramatic Malcolm Arnold music she is now quietly keen and I can even change capacitors without protest. Enthusiasm is contagious (better say that quietly or masks and ear-plugs will be mandated)! In today's world to be put in the slightly mad box is a real compliment.

I'm Martin.

listening to great music on a system that can do it justice is one of life's higher pleasures if you ask me. It's the people who eschew it who are mad
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

There have been many attempts to 'outlaw' sub groups with different views, they often gaslighted.

I have often been described as eccentric and an 'odd ball'. These are really attempts to belittle.

Twenty years ago "personality disorder" was often used for similar purposes, and now "outlander" is applied.
    (Remember when "This is it", "At the end of the day" and "This is what we find" were popularly used?). Cliched thinking, although this description is usually inapplicable.

We can see evidently that real mental illnesses are applicable to many, and it has become a current vogue to talk about it all on the media in a PC way. Almost a badge of distinction or prowess.

I'm charles.

Dennis, you mention PC, can you define that?

I'm Graham.

Police Constable? ;-)

I'm Dennis.

Political Correctness; the ostentatious accusation of an often minor violation, to completely invalidate or dismiss the argument or assertion presented, and which may actually have a great deal of value.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Political Correctness; the ostentatious accusation of an often minor violation, to completely invalidate or dismiss the argument or assertion presented, and which may actually have a great deal of value.
    The sort of thing often spurred on by attention seekers wanting to wave their flag and be noticed. Maybe not a fuss about nothing, but a fuss about next to nothing.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about amplifiers?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast