+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Rare Wharfedale/Leak Isodynamic tweeters and midrange cones

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Rare Wharfedale/Leak Isodynamic tweeters and midrange cones

I've had these put away for years for a long term project of buying a pair of Leak 3090 speakers, either for repair, or for spares, or even to buy some 2075 speakers and upgrade the tweeters to those in the 3090.

I got these off a pair of Teesdales that had the usual foam rot. I attempted to replace the surrounds first to keep them going until I needed the units, but it went wrong so I kept just these and gave away the rest as a project to someone more ambitious than me!

Anyhoo, these are very rare and worth something to a 2075/3090 owner I'm sure. They were working well when tested in the Teesdale cabs and as you can see still measure well. Both units are highly regarded. The mid ranges are I believe the first drivers developed using laser interferometry. I read some positive comments on them the other day but I can't for the life of me find them. The tweeters are obviously an earlier variant on modern units in some very expensive speakers. They have a foam cover which always crumbles so this has been cleaned off. I'm sure a little speaker foam cover could be added easily if required.

I think people forget how far ahead of their time Wharfedale were at this point in their history.

What I can't guarantee is that they are drop in replacements for the big ones, physically or electrically, as I don't have a pair to compare. I think they are, but I'm sure a bit of tweaking isn't beyond the wit of man if required

I'm asking £125 posted for these, which I think is fair given the scarcity. They weigh a fair bit and will need packing well.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 12-10-2021 at 14:10.

I'm Chris.

Had my 3090s for 10 years; they still live nearby.
    I could never tell if the Iso tweeters were working, because it was above my hearing threshold! (I had a spare set too)
    Should have kept them (3090s)
    I still use Wharfedale Iso headphones often and they are pretty good even after 50 years!IMG_1450.JPGIMG_3420.jpg
    Chris.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Yes you should have!

Mind you, so should I…
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Lawrence.

Bump

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Had my 3090s for 10 years; they still live nearby.
    I could never tell if the Iso tweeters were working, because it was above my hearing threshold! (I had a spare set too)
    I still use Wharfedale Iso headphones often and they are pretty good even after 50 years!IMG_1450.JPGIMG_3420.jpg
    I have two pairs of Isodynamic headphones, and four spare drive units. I made calf hide earpads in the 80s, oiled, and they are still fine. Later, in the 90s I bought a pair of Sony MDR V7s which were more toppy, and everyone thought was right, but my 450s agree much more with the Isos, £12.75 in '73. They are however insensitive.

I'm Lawrence.

I had the Leak version, I think they were the same drivers in a different body. Not bad sounding at all for their age compared to 95% of the vintage junk out there.

I'm Lawrence.

Now £95 posted before eBay

I'm Lawrence.

Sold

+ Reply to Thread