+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crossover refurb/recap, internal cable replacement

I'm Stuart.

Default Crossover refurb/recap, internal cable replacement

Morning all
    having some fun with my recently acquired Celestion 15XRs.
    Fairly sure they have never been messed with or drivers removed.
    I’m thinking about crossover recap and replacement of internal wire/cable but as I can’t even remove the drivers (and have no previous experience of recapping anything), I’ve come to the conclusion that the safest things for me to do is to take it on the chin and have them professionally sorted.
    Question; do any fellow members know of anywhere in Gloucestershire/Wiltshire where I could take then to be sorted?
    the reason I’m thinking about a recap is - and this is unconnected with these speakers - I purchased a pair of crossovers for my other speakers (Castle Severns) -and when they arrived, the serial numbers were several thousand higher than the originals - to me this meant those crossovers were newer and possibly had less use than the originals.
    Anyway, I swapped the crossovers over and I am utterly convinced I hear a difference in SQ on the Severns.
    My logic, therefore, is that if I can get this sort of improvement on the Severns with a newer (but not recapped) x-over, I must be able to achieve something similar or better with the 15XRs.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Stuart

I'm jamie.

theres only 1 cap i think,i doubt you will notice a huge difference.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    theres only 1 cap i think,i doubt you will notice a huge difference.
    Not true Jamie! I've had four pairs of 15's and XR's, had more caps then I care to remember swapped in and out of the XO's. Biggest bang for your buck on the 15XR's is x1 new cap for the XO's, decent binding posts and a complete rewire with decent oxygen free Cu.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stuart.

Thank you. I very much appreciate the replies.
    still happy to hear any thoughts on repairers/where I can get the work done in Gloucestershire/Wiltshire

+ Reply to Thread