+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for October!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know it needs to be dry to burn, but "bone dry"? A bit of moisture shouldn't be a problem, surely? You must have money to burn, never mind logs, to pay through the nose for something that only requires getting your hands dirty at the local park/woods, and a year or so of patience while the stuff dries.

I'm smiling at my mental picture of Del gathering up holly sprigs and pine cones for her Christmas decs, and you trying to wrestle a huge branch from the jaws of someone's pet staffie (It's mine you bassa, for me woodburner!)

I take back the Jack Torrance comment, those logs pictured in your link really wouldn't need that level of psychopathy. And Chad Valley do an axe that would be equal to the task, probably
    Haha... Well, owning a wood-burning stove doesn't mean you have to be 'Man Friday'! Firstly, the logs have to fit inside the stove, and ours is only small, hence why they need to be the right size - and yes they must also be bone dry, in order to burn at all from cold (otherwise completely useless), let alone efficiently later.

Educate yourself on the subject here: https://www.firewoodcentre.co.uk/blo...or%20packaging.

Noting:

"Wood that has been seasoned outdoors for a long period of time can actually reabsorb moisture during damp weather. Logs that has been seasoned for over a year could absorb enough water to make them useless as firewood until they dried out again."

...which is why it has to be done properly. It costs what it costs, as it's an important part of us having a comfortable home during the winter (indeed an essential), so for us well worth the money. I'd imagine heavy smokers or drinkers would spend far more per year on fags or booze!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Haha... Well, owning a wood-burning stove doesn't mean you have to be 'Man Friday'! Firstly, the logs have to fit inside the stove, and ours is only small, hence why they need to be the right size - and yes they must also be bone dry, in order to burn at all from cold (otherwise completely useless), let alone efficiently later.

Educate yourself on the subject here: https://www.firewoodcentre.co.uk/blo...or%20packaging.

Noting:

"Wood that has been seasoned outdoors for a long period of time can actually reabsorb moisture during damp weather. Logs that has been seasoned for over a year could absorb enough water to make them useless as firewood until they dried out again."

...which is why it has to be done properly. It costs what it costs, as it's an important part of us having a comfortable home during the winter (indeed an essential), so for us well worth the money. I'd imagine heavy smokers or drinkers would spend far more per year on fags or booze!

Marco.
    Non smokers always use that one to justify their spending...

Not sure how much educating I need on the subject - I will never own a woodburner, also what I know comes from my oldest friend having had a woodburner for almost 40 years. No doubt the seller's bumph you linked to has some degree of truth, I can see that, but if you can use a shed (or a garage that isn't being used to house your car ) that could well be all you need.

That being the case, the only reason not to that I can see is laziness or lack of available time.

My friend was more than qualified to go 'self sufficient' (proper hunter/gatherer), as he was (a) tough as old boots and (b) tight as a duck's arse. If you're missing either of these 'qualities' I suppose going shop-bought makes sense
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Non smokers always use that one to justify their spending...
    Mate, why make an issue of it? We can comfortably afford it, and it's important to us, so that's all that matters! What's it got to do with you?

Not sure how much educating I need on the subject - I will never own a woodburner, also what I know comes from my oldest friend having had a woodburner for almost 40 years. No doubt the seller's bumph you linked to has some degree of truth, I can see that, but if you can use a shed (or a garage that isn't being used to house your car ) that could well be all you need.
    Well, clearly some, as you questioned the need for wood to be thoroughly dried out! What's written in the article is fact, pure and simple.

And, with respect, I don't give a flying toss what your friend did or is, as he is not me, and I am not him. I enjoy the process I use to maintain our wood stove. It's not a competition to see who wins 'hunter/gatherer' of the year - for me, it's about having FUN, and getting a good result, and for me both are ably achieved

You also seem to be under the misapprehension that our wood stove is a big part of us being self-sufficient. Clearly it could be, if we lived in a rural area and could be arsed collecting wood and drying it out, etc, etc. However, the point is that that option is always there *if* it was ever necessary, and unlike many, we're not reliant on gas or electricity for our heating.

My friend was more than qualified to go 'self sufficient' (proper hunter/gatherer), as he was (a) tough as old boots and (b) tight as a duck's arse. If you're missing either of these 'qualities' I suppose going shop-bought makes sense
    Not sure where that's come from, and it's more than a little judgmental and condescending, as you know nothing about how 'tough' I am. Being tight as a duck's arse is certainly nothing necessarily to be proud about. In any case, I would read the bit I've highlighted again and see exactly how it comes across, and the smiley at the end doesn't make it any better.

You have a bad habit, Steve, of taking friendly banter too far and not knowing when to stop, so if you're not careful we'll soon be heading for another fallout.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Mate, why make an issue of it? We can comfortably afford it, and it's important to us, so that's all that matters! What's it got to do with you?

Well, clearly some, as you questioned the need for wood to be thoroughly dried out! What's written in the article is fact, pure and simple.

And, with respect, I don't give a flying toss what your friend did or is, as he is not me, and I am not him. I enjoy the process I use to maintain our wood stove. It's not a competition to see who wins 'hunter/gatherer' of the year - for me, it's about having FUN, and getting a good result, and for me both are ably achieved

You also seem to be under the misapprehension that our wood stove is a big part of us being self-sufficient. Clearly it could be, if we lived nearer a wood or in a rural area and could be a arsed collecting wood and drying it, etc, etc. However, the point is that the option is always there *if* it was ever necessary, and unlike many, we're not reliant on gas or electricity for our heating.

Not sure where that's come from, and it's more than a little judgmental and also confrontational, as you know nothing about how 'tough' I am. Being tight as a duck's arse is certainly nothing necessarily to be proud about. In any case, I would read the bit I've highlighted again and see exactly how it comes across, and the smiley at the end doesn't make it any better.

You have a bad habit, Steve, of taking friendly banter too far and not knowing when to stop, so if you're not careful we'll be heading for another fallout.

Marco.
    Sorry mate, just a bit of a wind up, but not my intention to upset you... words like 'hunter/gatherer' and 'self sufficient' came from yourself originally, I was just running with those phrases for a bit of fun.

It looks like another case of you not 'getting' my jokes (I don't know why I bother, they're not usually funny anyway), so I'll tread more lightly in future. So... what you having for tea? can I put a smiley on the end of this? Oh sod it, I will anyway
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

No problem

As you know, I'm up for a bit of banter with the best of them, but you (as in 'one') sometimes need to know when to stop before it becomes something else, that's all.

To my knowledge, I didn't mention 'self-sufficient' here until you brought it up (but have done before on other threads). However, I did mention the phrase 'hunter/gatherer'.

If you scroll back, you'll see that the term was deliberately put inside inverted commas, to indicate that I wasn't being serious, and also it was followed by a laughing smiley, which I thought would've been sufficient to convey my intent, i.e. that I didn't consider myself as a serious 'hunter/gatherer'!

However, in that respect, maintaining and running a wood stove, even via my 'sissy-assed' method lol, is still more 'hunter/gatherer' than simply switching on a gas fire, and 'self-sufficient' from the point of view of not being reliant on gas or electricity for heating. If things ever got THAT bad, it would be possible to fuel the wood burner from the contents of nearby Acton Park, had I not already been banned for life for scaring old ladies with my tiny wee knob!

Anyway, dude, we're good.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

If I go down the chippy for tea is that hunter-gathering?

I think it is. If I stuck a spear in something on the way it definitely would be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

no its going for a carry oot. you have to kill and gut the dog to get hunter status.. you'll probably get arrested of course but hey ho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I don't know, isn't the hunting bit covered by finding somewhere that's open?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know, isn't the hunting bit covered by finding somewhere that's open?
    think that is called barter, unless you just nick it when it becomes pillage
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

11C and gloomy again.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast