Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
I know it needs to be dry to burn, but "bone dry"? A bit of moisture shouldn't be a problem, surely? You must have money to burn, never mind logs, to pay through the nose for something that only requires getting your hands dirty at the local park/woods, and a year or so of patience while the stuff dries.

I'm smiling at my mental picture of Del gathering up holly sprigs and pine cones for her Christmas decs, and you trying to wrestle a huge branch from the jaws of someone's pet staffie (It's mine you bassa, for me woodburner!)

I take back the Jack Torrance comment, those logs pictured in your link really wouldn't need that level of psychopathy. And Chad Valley do an axe that would be equal to the task, probably
Haha... Well, owning a wood-burning stove doesn't mean you have to be 'Man Friday'! Firstly, the logs have to fit inside the stove, and ours is only small, hence why they need to be the right size - and yes they must also be bone dry, in order to burn at all from cold (otherwise completely useless), let alone efficiently later.

Educate yourself on the subject here: https://www.firewoodcentre.co.uk/blo...or%20packaging.

Noting:

"Wood that has been seasoned outdoors for a long period of time can actually reabsorb moisture during damp weather. Logs that has been seasoned for over a year could absorb enough water to make them useless as firewood until they dried out again."

...which is why it has to be done properly. It costs what it costs, as it's an important part of us having a comfortable home during the winter (indeed an essential), so for us well worth the money. I'd imagine heavy smokers or drinkers would spend far more per year on fags or booze!

Marco.