+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannoys and Cross-overs

I'm Geoff.

Quad 303 might be OK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

Thanks for the comments on the Technics Amplifier, It states 30 Watts per channel and has speaker A and/or B outlets. I will post back results of the capacitor experiments/changes. I hope to see a bargain Amp one day to upgrade the Technics if needed.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Erm, no idea, but welcome to AoS!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lawrence.

Something doesn't sound right about your description of the crossovers. A 2.5 or 3 way speaker can't have a single inductor as it needs multiple low pass filters.

[EDIT Sorry I should have considered the low to mid range driver could naturally roll off at the top and not need an inductor so take this bit with a pinch of salt]

It's possible there's another crossover or inductor elsewhere in the cabinet so that might explain it

However, I did a search for your crossover and found the photo attached. It claims to come from a Mercury MX2 2 way speaker, which makes more sense.

So I'm wondering if you bought these second hand and someone had a go at repairing them with the wrong crossover. This could also explain the "distant" sound you can hear.

I suppose the low pass could go to both bass drivers with an additional inductor to filter out the mid range from the .5 woofer although this is an odd arrangement.

I think the best thing you can do is post some photos here for us to help.

I'm Martin.

Good theory that Lawrence.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

If we can get a copy of the proper crossover circuit a new one can be built with good components and they'll sound better than the originals

I'm Graham.

Here's a photo of the crossover. the blue caps values are 10uF ans 8.2uF the large one is 5.6uF I thought the big blue component was a capacitor but I think it is an inductance coil?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Graham.

Armed with a solder sucker and my old but still working L/C meter, I have just checked out a couple of capacitors and both well withing spec, so maybe the next step is to look at an upgrade of the Technics amplifier. I am looking at several Arcams on Ebay. Would an Arcam Alpha be a move in the right direction, I have a feeling it's a trifle tpp retro? Seller majors on 'comfort and for a small space. I want to be reduced to emotional wreckage - Shostakovich !0th for instance. Comments welcome

I'm Martin.

This

https://www.emporiumhifi.com/kent-br...ntegrated-amp/

if that's too pricey look for a Denon PMA350, ideally a mark one version, should be around a ton.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

I will start a new thread/continue this in a more 'proper' part of the forum. Thanks for your help(s). I am looking for Denon PMA350.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12