+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy companies going bust

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As usual, a potentially good idea, if done right (to reduce government control and offer more choice/cost savings for the consumer) has been ruined by taking it to extremes, through sheer greed for gold!

Marco [not a fan of a government single-owned anything, especially something as important as energy].
    Usually I'm not but in the case of water and power I am. And passenger rail services too for that matter.

Water and power are essentials so shouldn't be run for profit and no-one in the history of the world has ever run a genuinely profitable passenger rail service, any profits made come from government subsidy, i.e out of our taxes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Usually I'm not but in the case of water and power I am. And passenger rail services too for that matter.

Water and power are essentials so shouldn't be run for profit and no-one in the history of the world has ever run a genuinely profitable passenger rail service, any profits made come from government subsidy, i.e out of our taxes.

I'd buy that for a dollar
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I understand your reasoning and partially agree, but I'm uncomfortable with the government having the power to cut off your water or energy supply, if for whatever reason, you refuse to 'play ball'.

Energy and water companies should be privately owned, but not run for obscene amounts of profit. Profits should be capped and/or anything over that given to charity. There are simply too many 'fat cats' around, creaming off society, to further their own selfish ends, rather than contributing to the greater good of man.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

They can't cut your water off if you are a private individual, it's against the law.

Government owned or private owned they will still cut your power off if you don't pay the bill. If you do pay the bill then there's no reason to cut you off.
    Current Lash Up:

Lol... Not paying the bill wasn't quite what I meant about not 'playing ball'....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Lol... Not paying the bill wasn't quite what I meant about not 'playing ball'....

Marco.
    Not sure what you mean then.
    Current Lash Up:

Think about possible government-imposed 'emergency measures' introduced (supposedly) to control future pandemics, and not 'playing ball' in that respect, thus facing the consequences...

You can laugh, but I'm afraid I wouldn't trust the fuckers (ANY of them, not just the Tories), as far as I could throw them, so my mantra would always be to REDUCE government authority and control, in ANY area, not increase it, thus empower them more!

Give more power to the people, but only humanitarians and those genuinely out to do good and improve the life of the common man, not odious, money/power-obsessed fat cats.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Peter.

So at what point does one become a 'fat cat'..?

My local council chief exec earns more than the prime minister's salary... FFS..

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Martin.

Think about possible government-imposed 'emergency measures' introduced (supposedly) to control future pandemics, and not 'playing ball' in that respect, thus facing the consequences...

You can laugh, but I'm afraid I wouldn't trust the fuckers (ANY of them, not just the Tories), as far as I could throw them, so my mantra would always be to REDUCE government authority and control, in ANY area, not increase it, thus empower them more!

Give more power to the people, but only humanitarians and those genuinely out to do good, not odious fat cats.

Marco.
    well I don't think that scenario is even remotely likely, but if it were then they could just as easily make the private energy company cut you off as do it themselves, there's no additional protection afforded by the fact that the billing company (as that is all they are) is privately owned. Within the scope of the Emergency Powers Act (1964) the Government can already effectively do whatever they want.

If you were really concerned about something like that then you would never have got a smart meter as that makes it a doddle to cut you off. One click of a mouse. To cut me off without cutting off the whole neighbourhood as well then they have to come out and dig up the street.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    So at what point does one become a 'fat cat'..?
    I guess, Pete, when for you money and power become all-consuming and the driving force behind your very existence, and ability to feel fulfilled. It's a mindset rather than it necessarily being linked to any specific salary or level of wealth.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast