+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony A9 Master Series KE48A9 OLED winging its way to Marco Towers!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Heh-heh - yes she's BORED with me now and WANTS a bigger challenge!

Anyway, she's due in from work any minute, so you know what that means [all stations at the ready]....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

kettle on, gilbert at the ready, bath running, ready to do foot rub etc.... all at once
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I know mate - the timing takes near-military precision - and woe betide me if I fuck it up

The other day I committed the heinous crime of forgetting Gilbert... You can probably hear her now in her inimitable style!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Ours is the Beovision Eclipse 65" and, looking at the price of the one Grant posted - he's found one that's a bargain!

It's based around the older LG C7 OLED panel and the picture is superb. They released a version 2 last year based on the newer GX panel and our B&O dealer tried to tempt us with one, but we weren't convinced the picture was hugely better, plus they've now dropped Spotify support in the v2 which is a disaster as we use that a lot, so we stuck with the 'old clunker'!
    Our telly also uses the older LG C7 panel, but that's because it's an LG OLED TV We bought a 12 month-old one off Ebay (won it for £650), and we've now had it 2 years. Can't fault the picture, which I can't take credit for (maybe the previous owner tweaked it). Came good as new, with everything, including the £1800 receipt, even in its box, so I'd call that a bargain The terrible resale value of tellies really works out for buyers.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dennis.

I've never understood the desire for higher resolution TVs. I look using a standard res. TV and that is enough to see facial flaws, spots, blackheads etc, and surely higher resolution does not increase the conveyance of 'intelligence', by which I mean information which better enables understanding of what is being conveyed, and any plot.

The important aspects surely are perceiving human emotional expression; facial signals and mannerisms, and clear sound information, this latter IMO badly produced in the first place by programme creators.

It really seems to me that our main aim - getting improved sound quality, is perhaps now an obsolete quest, because we can on the whole get all the information available.

This was not so true in the 70s when The Wall came out, and better Hi-Fi did reveal previously obscured information. (Says he hypocritically as he auditions a pair of Revel Salon 2s in his home comparing with ADAM Tensor Betas).

But regardless, a 55" St. def. TV will do me, especially as I regard most TV as crap.

LOL... Well, Dennis wins the 'Bah Humbug' post award for 2021!

Marco.
    Main System

Cool Understanding the "desire for higher resolution TVs"

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos
    **I've never understood the desire for higher resolution TVs**. I look using a standard res. TV and that is enough to see facial flaws, spots, blackheads etc...
    Well, by the same token, you could say: 'I've never understood the desire for higher fidelity audio systems. I listen using a standard-fidelity system, and that is enough to hear bass, midrange and treble, etc, and follow the tune...'

So why bother with higher fidelity audio systems? I'm being somewhat flippant of course, but I trust you can see my point...

Increasing the resolution of your TV, in order to see/enjoy a 4K UHD film in all its glory (thus reproducing the source format as faithfully as possible), is as rewarding, if you're into that, as increasing the fidelity of your audio system, in order to hear a high-fidelity music recording in all it's glory (thus reproducing the source format as faithfully as possible), if you're into that.

Therefore, owning a higher resolution TV, is about seeing as MUCH of what's there (detail visually present on the screen), as clearly and realistically as possible, just the same as a higher fidelity audio system is about hearing as MUCH of what's there (musical information on the recording), as clearly and realistically as possible.

So why would you settle for SEEING less than is possible, with your choice of TV, or HEARING less than is possible, with your choice of audio system...?

For enthusiasts of either of the above, the exercise is about experiencing both SOUND and VISION in the most REALISTIC and LIFELIKE way possible, and therefore to the highest standard/resolution that the audio or visual format played is capable of delivering. That is why we own high-fidelity audio systems and high-resolution TVs, in order to enjoy both our favourite music or films to the highest sonic or visual standard - it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos
    and surely higher resolution does not increase the conveyance of 'intelligence', by which I mean information which better enables understanding of what is being conveyed, and any plot.
    That's fundamentally not what it's about. As I've said, the goal is simply to both SEE and HEAR as much of what's there as possible, and not settling for anything less! Certainly speaking for myself, that's where the pleasure is derived from, and why the required effort and expense to achieve it is worth it

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

With high resolution TV, it's not simply the sharper detail. With it comes a kind of 'depth' which is can be almost '3D', giving a more immersive experience with films. With SD all of the picture has some degree of blurriness, making it look a little flat, whereas 4K makes the focussed parts 'pop'.

Just my opinion of course, and with most TV programmes I couldn't care less - they're mostly crap anyway.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Yes, Piggurs has just re-emphasised an important point.

Pretty much everything I've written above is in reference to optimising the viewing experience with films, not TV programmes - and also remember, in terms of my circumstances, that the TV is an integral part of a home-cinema system, designed to optimise 4K HDR material, and so to create a believable (as possible) cinematic experience at home, not watching the latest episode of Corrie!

Therefore, how can you reproduce that material accurately, or even at all, without the right equipment?

The other aspect that's important to me is making live football, and other sporting events, broadcast in 4K UHD, look and feel as LIFELIKE as possible. In that respect, getting moving images to scroll smoothly, motion flow right, etc, so that the players you're watching appear as real as possible (not merely as blurred cardboard cutouts in comparison), is difficult to achieve, and this is also where the best hi-res TVs, with powerful processors, come into their own

Marco.
    Main System

This is spot on from Steve:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    With high resolution TV, it's not simply the sharper detail. With it comes a kind of 'depth' which is can be almost '3D', giving a more immersive experience with films. With SD all of the picture has some degree of blurriness, making it look a little flat, whereas 4K makes the focussed parts 'pop'.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast