+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony A9 Master Series KE48A9 OLED winging its way to Marco Towers!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

As you mentioned the 55", it was very tempting, and not much more dosh either: https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

...but it would've been too 'tight' in that space.

However, for anyone on the lookout for a quality (but affordable) 55" OLED, it doesn't get much better, unless you like the more 'impressive' (IMO, read as artificially enhanced) colour palette of pretty much everything else, other than a Sony.

It's entirely subjective, of course, but I find results of the colour processing Sony use more natural/lifelike, which is why I've always stuck with them since the early days of Trinitron

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, but with the latter, the larger the better, if you want films to 'feel' convincing! However, as I've said, within reason. No way would a 55" TV (or bigger) look right in our old lodge house, surrounded by antiques of various description, not just us!

...especially as, due to our living arrangements, it has to go on the wall in a corner.

Marco.
    No, I disagree. For me it is a matter of angle of view. Even at the cinema I prefer to sit as far away from the screen as possible for comfortable viewing.

Whilst we all have peripheral vision over an angle of nearly 180 degrees, we tend to concentrate on images that lay within about a 45 degree angle of view. Thus I don't feel the need or the desire for a large (wide) screen.

Apropos the look of a wide screen TV when not in use, well I have always had my TV upstairs and not in my living and/or listening room, so that doesn't worry me.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    However, for anyone on the lookout for a quality 55" OLED, it doesn't get much better, unless you like the more 'impressive' (IMO, read as artificially enhanced) colour palette of pretty much everything else, other than a Sony.

It's entirely subjective, of course, but I find results of the colour processing Sony use more natural/lifelike, which is why I've always stuck with them, since the early days of Trinitron

Marco.
    Again I'm inclined to disagree. Whilst I am largely loyal to Sony TVs, the colour balance of our LG TV is definitely better than that of the Sony.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, I disagree. For me it is a matter of angle of view. Even at the cinema I prefer to sit as far away from the screen as possible for comfortable viewing.

Whilst we all have peripheral vision over an angle of nearly 180 degrees, we tend to concentrate on images that lay within about a 45 degree angle of view. Thus I don't feel the need or the desire for a large (wide) screen.
    Lol, fair enough, but in our case, as the TV acts as part of a home-cinema system (thereby we're actively seeking to create a cinematic-type experience at home, within due constraints, and therefore with the use of a dedicated AV amp, centre speaker, twin subs and surround speakers), then it follows that you'd want as big a screen as possible!

Great pleasure is derived from immersing oneself in as convincing a cinematic experience at home as possible, old chap.

In that respect, if I lived in, say a modern flat, with a large lounge that had a long wall down one side, and where a huge plastic screen didn't look rather vulgar, I'd have the *biggest* TV possible, or more likely, as big a screen as possible, in conjunction with a top-notch 4K projector, which would combine to make the image on *any* TV screen look like a fuzzy mush in comparison.

In fact, if I had the choice of owning, say, a luxury swimming pool or a 'real' indoor cinema, with seats and all, including the appropriate sized screen and a full Dolby Atmos set-up, it'd be the latter every time!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Again I'm inclined to disagree. Whilst I am largely loyal to Sony TVs, the colour balance of our LG TV is definitely better than that of the Sony.
    That's fine. I did say it was subjective, and I TOTALLY disagree!

Have you had either professionally set up and calibrated by an engineer? If not, and you're basing your opinion solely on your own basic setting up of colours and contrast, black/white levels, etc, or worse formed that conclusion in a showroom, then I'm sorry, you're not really in a position to critically assess or judge the difference.

Marco.
    Main System

You can see how good the Sony is here, by reading the spec, especially the quality of the processor used: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/t...ions/a9-series

And if it were hi-fi equipment being reviewed, I wouldn't pay much attention to the contents of What Hi-Fi?, but they know their TVs. Therefore, I have no reason to dispute their conclusion, after having reviewed the Sony in question:

"Sony has taken LG’s panel and, with its own picture processing and audio wizardry, raised the benchmark previously (and briefly) held by LG’s own OLED48CX" .

Marco.
    Main System

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Should be a great telly. I’ve mainly gone Samsung now, although we have a Sony in the kitchen, 32” - was just about the only one I could find that was 1080P in that size. Rather embarrassingly we have 8 TVs in the house*, including an ancient LG 32” in our bedroom which must be 18 years old and still going strong. It too is 1080P and coupled with a Sky Q Mini, still has a great picture.

* so I can always find somewhere to watch Bargain Hunt...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Lol - so YOU are the other BH fan, then? Del and I watch it regularly, along with a host of other antiques-related shows.

Nothing wrong with Samsung. It's just that I can tell the difference between the colour balance on one, or an LG, very easily. For me, the latter make colours 'pop' more, which produces 'exciting looking' visuals, great with films, but that ultimately I find a little 'forced', and therefore artificial and unnatural.

Sony TVs, on the other hand, tend not to make colours 'pop' to the same degree, which some find a little bland, especially when they've been used to watching stuff on a Samsung or LG. Their screens are also not as brightly lit, but for me the recipe that they use for colour processing is ultimately more successful at reproducing a lifelike image, which for me is what it's all about.

The difference between them is rather like the reaction of someone who's not used to having sugar in their coffee or tea, suddenly being given a cup with two spoons of sugar in - or vice versa... I mean, would I want to 'boost' the tonal balance of my audio system with the use of a graphic equaliser? No, and neither would I (albeit it indirectly) seek to do the same with the colour balance on my TV.

It's about achieving *my* notion of accuracy/REALISM, and I'm as fussy about optimising the picture quality on my TV, as I am about optimising the sound quality of my hi-fi system!

In any case though, as with everything else, ultimately it's all down to personal taste

Marco.
    Main System

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

You have to be careful with any TV “out of the box” as the settings are usually set to look “impressive” in the shop, but ultimately unrealistic when you get it home. A bit of fiddling will be in order when you get it!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Oh absolutely, mate. There'll be a lot of default settings getting binned! I did the same with my last Sony. Whenever I buy a new TV, I search for videos on YouTube, produced by engineers or other more knowledgeable people than I, on how to optimise the picture on the model of TV I've bought.

Therefore, I'll be watching this video on Saturday, after the delivery chaps have set up the TV for its basic functions, and following the advice given:

Yes I know it's still ultimately down to your individual preference what's best.

However, try as I might, I'm never able to disagree with the recommended advanced settings suggested by these dudes who know what they're doing. I used the same guy for setting up my last Sony, and the end result and difference between the settings he recommended, and the factory ones, was massive!

Therefore, I'd strongly recommend others to do the same with their TVs. Just type into YT, 'How to optimise the picture on a <insert model of your TV>'

What I've always wanted to do though, but so far baulked at the cost, is avail of the services of a professional calibration engineer, such as this: https://www.isfcalibration.org/?utm_...tion%20service

Prices start at £300, but I've seen the results when a mate of mine had it done with his OLED TV, and the difference, even between a well set-up one (such as the above) and a professionally calibrated version, is literally NIGHT and DAY! So I may ask Del to treat me for Xmas... I think with this particular TV it would be worth it.

You should read the section entitled 'Why Do I Need to Calibrate My TV?' It makes perfect sense! It's also why, until you've had it done and therefore *know* how good your TV is, by releasing its latent potential, you can't definitively say what's 'best' for you between, say, a Sony and an LG. Nota bene, Bazza!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast