+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony A9 Master Series KE48A9 OLED winging its way to Marco Towers!

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Tele will be getting hung on Friday - way hey!

Means I can get the centre speaker off the floor and onto the cabinet where it was before, and press it into action for even better results with movies!

Have to say though, since I had these Celestion 15s fully recapped (original electrolytics not just bypassed now, but replaced with quality polys of the same value), and rewired them with Jantzen cable, ripping out the horrid 'bell wire' inside (plus fitted Cardas solid copper binding posts, as the originals were simply shocking), they really sound stunning, once again showing that mixing the BEST of old and new worlds, in this case a 1968 speaker design with today's cables and components, can be a match made in heaven...

Seems to work rather nicely, that's for sure. I'd certainly put these up against anything of a similar size from the likes of Spendor or Harbeth, costing rather more than I've paid, even factoring in the cost of the mods, and expect them to ably hold their own!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

Spendor and Harbeth are perhaps highly regarded, and I'm sure that Alan Shaw would be horrified, even by your comparison.

Are your 15s, the biggest of the range that used a passive, I remember them fondly from in the early 70s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Tele will be getting hung on Friday - way hey!

Means I can get the centre speaker off the floor and onto the cabinet where it was before, and press it into action for even better results with movies!

Have to say though, since I had these Celestion 15s fully recapped (original electrolytics not just bypassed now, but replaced with quality polys of the same value), and rewired them with Jantzen cable, ripping out the horrid 'bell wire' inside (plus fitted Cardas solid copper binding posts, as the originals were simply shocking), they really sound stunning, once again showing that mixing the BEST of old and new worlds, in this case a 1968 speaker design with today's cables and components, can be a match made in heaven...

Seems to work rather nicely, that's for sure. I'd certainly put these up against anything of a similar size from the likes of Spendor or Harbeth, costing rather more than I've paid, even factoring in the cost of the mods, and expect them to ably hold their own!

Marco.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Spendor and Harbeth are perhaps highly regarded, and I'm sure that Alan Shaw would be horrified, even by your comparison.

Are your 15s, the biggest of the range that used a passive, I remember them fondly from in the early 70s.
    Lol - I'm sure he would be horrified! But, I suspect more 'horrified' at how good they sounded, considering their age

Here they are, Dennis, in situ in my lounge (old pics before I got the new TV), and in pretty good condition for 53-year old speakers:

With grilles off (not very pretty lol, but purposeful):

As you can see, they use the well-regarded HF1300 tweeters, found in many of Spendor's classic standmount designs, and share a similar 'BBC studio monitor' sound, but done REALLY well, and with the ABRs, have a bit more 'heft' in the bass than Spendor (or Harbeth's) similar sized models.

The Jupiter Copper-Foil, Paper and Wax caps that have been fitted raised the bar significantly though (see link below), and showed what the excellent drive units were capable of, by really opening things up and releasing their latent sonic potential.

Jupiter capacitors: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...il_in_wax.html

The 15s cost me £80 on Ebay, and I've spent around £300 modding them (as outlined), so for under £400 I've got a pair of speakers that I'd happily compare with anything similar today, up to around £2k. Plus, augmented by the twin Yamaha 10-inch active subs (hidden out of view), combine to give palpable weight and gravitas to low-frequency movie sound effects.

Here's my view of how they compared with the later 15XRs (which I also had, and modded, one of which, as you'll notice from the pics above, I now use as a centre speaker): https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...15#post1225315

Once again demonstrating that things don't always get better, the newer they are!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Haha - aye, defo!

Marco.
    Main System

No thoughts, Dennis, on my earlier post (and pics)?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No thoughts, Dennis, on my earlier post (and pics)?

Marco.
    Yes, and of the same heritage I guess, the ones I had in mind were the 66s, which very much impressed me, but I think they do not use the 1300. I loved that 1300, derived I think from some sort of comms speaker in a tank.

What's a comms speaker in a tank?

But yes, the 66s were the big boys. Had those too, and indeed demonstrated them as part of an AoS system at a show in Scalford Hall hotel in 2011:

Thomas Dolby's 'Dissidents' is the music playing.

Most of the electronics were mine, modded Technics turntable (further modified since), Croft preamp and Copper valve amp. The system received rave reviews!

And no, the 66s didn't use the HF-1300, but instead a super-tweeter in conjunction with the equally well-regarded MF500 mid/top unit. They sounded sublime, but in the end I didn't have enough room to house two huge sets of speakers, so kept my Tannoys, as ultimately I preferred those.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I loved that 1300, derived I think from some sort of comms speaker in a tank.
    I know what you're getting at. There was some such story about the origins of the HF1300, can't remember the details though and I'm too lazy to spend ages googling .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast