+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony A9 Master Series KE48A9 OLED winging its way to Marco Towers!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - was that the same show as the legendary 'Cheap as Chips' room? That one certainly ruffled a few feathers, eh mate?

Marco.
    Yes i think it was, and we certainly did ruffle a few feathers! Certainly showed that to get a decent hi-fi you don’t have to spend very much if you’re canny. I still remember to this day the guy that told me he had spent £50k on his system and it didn’t sound as good as the then playing £100 system! That’s not to say that a £50k system couldn’t sound stunning, but a lesson for me and many others that synergy and system matching with a few “under the radar” components can produce very good results. Happy days!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dennis.

I think it was used as a speaker of some sort in a tank, and they stopped making it because the tool for moulding the conical polyamide cone became over worn. One of the greatest revelations for me was at the BBC hearing the then LS 3/4 and 5/5 that used it.

My enthusiasm for tinkering has diminished, and I have not built an amplifier for decades, mainly because the then economic advantage for a high quality unit has diminished. Most of my more recent work has been on loudspeakers, in fact since '85 that has been so. Mainly I have done rebuilds to improve on original designs, but what becomes apparent is the limitations of the drivers. They also have much better measuring equipment professionally.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting, Dennis... Those Celestion drive units from 'back in the day' were really top-notch

Like you say, in general the quality of such available now is sadly lacking.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

No, there's plenty of very good drive units around now, certainly better than in the 1980s or earlier. They just don't tend to get used in commercial speakers as they're too expensive. An extra tenner for a drive unit is another £100 or £200 on the retail price.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Is there though, without paying megabucks? I'd defer to Dennis' experience here as he builds stuff.

As you know, I rate Focal, but what's out there these days that's as good as or better than the likes of the aforementioned Celestion midrange and tweeter units, and in that I'd also include the KEF T27, used in the LS3/5a, at the price you can currently pick those up for?

I dunno, as I don't build stuff. However, there's a reason I generally prefer the voicing of the best vintage speakers, particularly through the presence range and top end, and that's mostly to do with the drivers!

Many, but not all, modern designs sound a little etched/brightly lit, and overall tonally 'bleached', to my ears, in comparison, and simply not as real.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is there though, without paying megabucks? I'd defer to Dennis' experience here as he builds stuff.

For DIY yes they are affordable, but for commercial speakers, no - not unless the speaker is retailing in the multiple thousands.

I built my last speaker back in 1995 but even then there was a big difference between the drivers that cost a tenner that get used in commercial designs, and those in the £40 range.

I hear you about vintage speakers, at least some of them. But I would say for every one that has stood the test of time there are two that sound muffled and dull by modern standards.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    For DIY yes they are affordable, but for commercial speakers, no - not unless the speaker is retailing in the multiple thousands.
    Yes, but it's not just about being affordable; it's about being as GOOD, sonically. So what modern tweeters, used by DIYers today, are as good, sonically, as the likes of an HF1300, or which midrange units are as good as, or better, than an MF500, and available at the same price or less?

I hear you about vintage speakers, at least some of them. But I would say for every one that has stood the test of time there are two that sound muffled and dull by modern standards.
    Yes, I agree. Vintage speakers aren't any more of a 'magic bullet' than any other examples of vintage gear.

However, I'm only talking about the very BEST speakers in comparison with what's made today. Plus, and I know this now from considerable experience, the 'dull and muffled' effect you describe can often be eradicated, or certainly radically reduced, by upgrades to crossover caps and resistors.

Often, that's the only way to hear what vintage speakers are truly capable of, as one of the areas where technology has created MASSIVE improvements in audio, is in the design of electrical components and other things such as cables, plugs and terminals, which are a *completely* different animal from what was used 40 or 50 years ago.

That's why marrying the best of old and new can often provide superb results, and deliver the highest SPPV!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

New technology in products tends to be aimed at cheapness of production. Things are generally built down to a price, not up to a specification. The older speaker drivers tended to be the best the maker could design at the time, that largely ceased to be generations ago.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 30-09-2021 at 10:19.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    New new technology in products tends to be aimed at cheapness of production. Things are generally built down to a price, not up to a specification. The older speaker drivers tended to be the best the maker could design at the time, that largely ceased to be generations ago.
    Couldn't agree more, mate - and the bit in bold is a sad and simple fact, unless you pay PLENTY!

And you can certainly here the sonic results when listening to many modern speakers, certainly under £3-4k.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

I prefer using drivers that don't employ Ferrofluid, partly the reason for my liking for vintage units.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast