+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy V12 -- correct model of 12" driver?

I'm Herman.

Default Tannoy V12 -- correct model of 12" driver?

Hi!

I have, as I discovered upon opening, 2 different Tannoy V12 boxes. Crossover values seem identical but one has tweeter with neo magnet the other with ferrite magnet. Stickers on the frame say 7300.0642 and 7300.0640, respectively -- so different driver versions.
    They sound different too, and that's the problem! The neo tweeter version, 7300.0642, is a lot brighter, the highs being louder. So questions:
    Which one is the correct/factory version?

is Tannoy V12 ever been made with a 7300.0642 driver?

ps. I think I actually prefer the smoother sounding ferrite tweeter, driver model 7300.0640, hard to say, listening to single V12 at a time

I'm frank.

My V12/3142 have ferrite HF and are the **640 model with the 3133/3833 hf magnet assembly part no 79000199 .
    The neo 'replacement' hf also sounds too hot on the System15 monitor.
    Can you measure the impedance of both HF drivers?

I'm Herman.

cooky,
    thanks for responding. I will do the impedance sweep next week and post my results.

I'm Herman.

Default Impedance measurements

Finally,
    I made the impedance measurements of two different tweeters in the V12 boxes. One tweeter has the neo magnet and other is ferrite. Crossovers, box is the same but the tweeters are different for whatever reason. Which one is the correct tweeter for this speaker, I don't know. Maybe you can help.
    Tannoy V12_2versions.jpgTannoy V12_ferrite_tweeter.jpgTannoy V12_neo_tweeter.jpg

I'm frank.

I suspect the neos are more efficient, Lots of folk have remarked on the hot replacement tweeters so I'd suggest modding the xover. theres is a protection section in the xover as I recall in the i12 perhaps a component swap there may tone it down a bit?

+ Reply to Thread