+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME FD.200 damper question

I'm Steve.

Default SME FD.200 damper question

A couple of years ago I bought an SME FD.200 damper on the second hand market and have only just got around to installing it. Although boxed, it came without the cam/lever assembly and the arm rest assembly (naughty seller). However, I recall having read somewhere that these two parts are already fitted (stock) items on the later series II improved arms? Am i correct and good to go, or do I need these two missing parts? Thanks.

I'm Steve.

Found the answer myself. Attempted to fit the damper and in the space of 30 seconds it was job done, it just slipped in place over the lift/drop damper chamber, that simple. So clearly (and from more research I've done) the parts fitted to improved series II arms are compatible with the FD200 damper. Not so the earlier series II arms that have different rest and lift arms. Installation not completely finished yet though as I need to get some silicon damping fluid. Lots on Ebay, but you can never be sure of quality or accuracy of spec.
    Last edited by vintagesteve; 17-09-2021 at 10:11.

I'm Steve.

I got some 60k silicon fluid off eBay and all is well, good results, good stability and damping.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The type of arm rest used does not matter (either the earlier one with the throw over link, or the later ones with the plastic clip). The design of the lift/lower lever is however important: the earlier design will foul the right-hand edge of the FD200 tank. That is why you can only fit the damper to the later 'Improved' arms, or replace the lever on the earlier arms.

60,000cS viscosity fluid is ideal; much better IMO that the 200,000cS fluid SME supply with the FD200.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread