+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker gasket repair

I'm Stuart.

Default Speaker gasket repair

Following on from my recent post - thanks again to everyone who posted replies - I’ve now discovered that my recently acquired speakers (15XRs) have a minor issue which needs attention. And given my lack of experience, just thought I’d ask for some pointers.

The outer rubber gasket on the mid/bass driver on one of the two 15XRs has come unstuck from the metal speaker frame (if that’s the right terminology). I suppose this is not a surprise nor unusual for adhesive which must be close to 50 years old.

At the moment, it’s noticeable in 2 areas but I’m absolutely sure that if I were to apply any pressure at all around the rest of the gasket, then it would all come away. Sure it’ll be the same on the other speaker, too.
    I noticed this only last evening when playing the accoustic version of Hotel California at a higher than normal volume level. I noticed a ‘chesty cough’ type noise, got down on the floor, watched and was able to see the bottom and side of the gasket coming away from the frame when the deeper bass notes were hit.

The speaker cone itself looks in vgc, so I’m assuming it’s just the gasket which needs re-sticking/glueing.
    Having zero experience, I’ve looked on line for videos but had no luck.

Is this something that a complete (mid 60 year old) novice should attempt or best left to the experts?
    if these were my ‘forever’ speakers then I would get them done professionally, no question.
    But they are clearly not in that category and I may in fact decide to simply trade them on. If I do that, though, I would highlight the fact that a repair is needed. I could not sell them without highlighting this now I know about it.

In the big scheme of things, I realise this is minor but I just don’t know where to start. I don’t even know what adhesive would be used!

Hope I’ve posted in the correct forum and that it shouldn’t have gone under DIY.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice.

I'm Geoff.

Celestion driver gaskets were not glued in place as far as I recall. If one has stuck, that's probably due to age. Replacements can easily be cut from thin craft foam sheet, which is available in black or dark grey.

I assume you are referring to the driver mounting gasket between the cabinet and rear of the driver and not the cone suspension surround.

You may find this useful: http://www.centerpointaudio.com/howspeakerswork.aspx
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Celestion driver gaskets were not glued in place as far as I recall. If one has stuck, that's probably due to age. Replacements can easily be cut from thin craft foam sheet, which is available in black or dark grey.

I assume you are referring to the driver mounting gasket between the cabinet and rear of the driver and not the cone suspension surround.

You may find this useful: http://www.centerpointaudio.com/howspeakerswork.aspx
    Thanks for the reply, Geoff.

if I may, I’m going to post a photo this morning showing exactly what the issue is.

I was concerned that I wouldn’t be using the correct terminology!

Stuart

I'm Stuart.

Geoff.
    I’ve had a look at the link.
    It looks like I’m describing the ‘front surround suspension’.
    I picked up the word ‘gasket’ when I was researching a solution to the problem.
    the link you’ve kindly included is the sort of info that someone like me finds invaluable in helping to understand the basics.
    Thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Typical gasket

Cone surround

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

A detaching surround can usually be re-glued easily enough.

I'd suggest using this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265057096...IAAOSwjs1gLO89

Apply with a small art brush and if need be, thin with a drop of water. It's water based and dries fairly quickly.

I'm Stuart.

Geoff
    Thanks.
    It’s the speaker surround which is/has become detached from the metal outer frame.
    If there is a gasket, then I can’t see one and it isn’t the issue.
    Sorry for the poor description in the opening post.
    So basically, the speaker surround needs to be re-glued to the metal frame.
    Stuart

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    So basically, the speaker surround needs to be re-glued to the metal frame
    Sounds like it. A photo or two might be useful.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A detaching surround can usually be re-glued easily enough.

I'd suggest using this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265057096...IAAOSwjs1gLO89

Apply with a small art brush and if need be, thin with a drop of water. It's water based and dries fairly quickly.
    Thanks, Geoff.
    Sorry for the (basic) follow up questions;
    1) would you suggest I lift the whole of the speaker surround on each of the two speakers. I am absolutely convinced they will both just fall away/become detached with even the slightest of effort? If I don’t do this, then I’m sure it won’t be long before other parts of the surround need re-glueing.
    2) would you suggest I try to clean under the rubber surround to get rid of any 50 year old adhesive residue - not that I can see any?
    3) can I re-glue in situ - I.e. without removing the speaker from the cabinet?
    4) would you say to reglue the whole of the surround at once or in stages?
    5) do I need to apply pressure to make sure that the new joint is good? If yes, presumably I’n need to remove the whole assembly from the cabinet and turn it upside down?
    Thanks once again
    Stuart

I'm Geoff.

You should be able to deal with this without removing the driver.

The alignment of the cone/diaphragm is important, so if it is still bonded in places leave those parts stuck for now as they will keep the surround in position. Glue areas that have come free first, very gently cleaning off any loose old adhesive as best you can. Try and glue the surround back in its original position. You should only need to apply moderate pressure briefly just to seat newly glued areas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast