+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denon direct drive turntables

I'm Pavel.

Default Denon direct drive turntables

I recently repaired a Denon DP-2000 turntable that was in a sorry condition. Had to replace all electrolytic capacitors and a bunch of semiconductors. I mounted my Mission 774 with a cheap vintage cartridge (Ortofon VMS15XE), connected it to a DIY phonostage and was rewarded with a very pleasing sound.

What really surprised me is that its character is completely different from my Technics SP10 mk2. The Technics is all about effortlessness, precision and control. It faithfully reproduces what's on the record. The Denon is lush, spacious and smooth, kinda "romantic" sounding but in a good way. It's definitely not the cartridge because I'm very familiar with Ortofon VMS cartridges and they don't sound this romantic on the Technics.

Frankly, this experience got me interested in their "big" motor units - e.g. DP-6000, DP-7000, DP-75, DP-80. DP-2000 was near the bottom of the range, the model number is a bit of a misnomer, it really is DP-3000 with quartz lock so they should have called it DP-4000

If anyone has experience (positive or negative) with Denon direct drives, especially the upmarket models, please share them in this thread.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    What really surprised me is that its character is completely different from my Technics SP10 mk2. The Technics is all about effortlessness, precision and control. It faithfully reproduces what's on the record. The Denon is lush, spacious and smooth, kinda "romantic" sounding but in a good way. It's definitely not the cartridge because I'm very familiar with Ortofon VMS cartridges and they don't sound this romantic on the Technics.
    I've not heard any old Denon direct drive turntables, but your description of its sound character does tally with that of my old Kenwood KD-990 which does play music rather like a top-end Nottingham Analogue deck but with a definite sense of added 'drive'. I don't know how the Denon DD motors were constructed, but I'd not be surprised if they used flat wound coils like my KD-990, which Technics have since adopted in all their current DD turntable motor designs

I'm mark.

I recently sold DP55F and your description mirrors my experience. I hate the phrase, but it’s more ‘musical’ than I’ve found Technics decks.

I only sold it as I’ve got Sony TTS8000 and while the Dennon’s great, it didn’t bring more to the party, so, along with high end Dennon, I’d add Sony to the list. Ps 6750 was a great integrated TT.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Audio View Post
    I've not heard any old Denon direct drive turntables, but your description of its sound character does tally with that of my old Kenwood KD-990 which does play music rather like a top-end Nottingham Analogue deck but with a definite sense of added 'drive'. I don't know how the Denon DD motors were constructed, but I'd not be surprised if they used flat wound coils like my KD-990, which Technics have since adopted in all their current DD turntable motor designs
    It's definitely not a coreless DC motor, in fact it's a very impressive AC servo motor that is large and powerful enough to drive a washing machine.

I noticed that the servo is very gentle, if I try to stop it with my finger, it doesn't try to tear it off, and if I remove the pressure, it just instantly gets back to speed without any overshoot.

I'm Grant.

The 2000 turntable uses an induction AC motor which is powered by a separate winding on the power transformer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The 2000 turntable uses an induction AC motor which is powered by a separate winding on the power transformer.
    Yes! It is an ingenious system, very similar to what Sony did in TTS-2500 and TTS-4000. There is a large power transistor in series with the motor windings which throttles the voltage applied to the motor and controls slip between the rotor and the rotating magnetic field of the stator.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    II only sold it as I’ve got Sony TTS8000 and while the Dennon’s great, it didn’t bring more to the party, so, along with high end Dennon, I’d add Sony to the list. Ps 6750 was a great integrated TT.
    I am a huge fan of old high-end Sonys, and in fact from the technical staindpoint the DP-2000 is very similar to Sony TTS-2500, with the added benefit of quartz lock.

I'm Hugo.

It's definitely not a coreless DC motor, in fact it's a very impressive AC servo motor that is large and powerful enough to drive a washing machine.

I noticed that the servo is very gentle, if I try to stop it with my finger, it doesn't try to tear it off, and if I remove the pressure, it just instantly gets back to speed without any overshoot.
    Blimey - that's quite a beast!

I'm Steve.

I am a huge fan of old high-end Sonys, and in fact from the technical staindpoint the DP-2000 is very similar to Sony TTS-2500, with the added benefit of quartz lock.
    Does that include the PS B80 which I have and enjoy very much

I'm Pavel.

Unfortunately, I have never heard a Sony turntable with a Biotracer tonearm, but I know that they are supposed to be bloody amazing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast