+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is TAOS a 'safe space'?

I'm Thommy.

Default Is TAOS a 'safe space'?

Having taken a 5 year break from audio DIY to do some life stuff I recently came back to the forums as I have a new workspace and with it the chance to go through my boxes of DIY stuff to resurrect some old projects.

On PFM I made a post about a low-cost high-ish performance mains cable design that I had come up with and was immediately deluged with spiteful ignorant comments such as "It's IMPOSSIBLE for a power cable to make any difference" and "Silver oxide is seriously non-conductive, there is NO place for silver in hifi designs, you NEED to read this study..." etc. I didn't bother mentioning my isolation transformer project after this because I was bound to get a lecture from a 70 year old sparky who thinks they are the only person on the planet capable of not killing themselves with 240v (a belt from a high current 25v DC source is MUCH more painful in my experience anyway).

Let's just say I didn't bother contributing any more to that particular thread! However I will be making some power cables and a balanced mains conditioner over the next year and I would like to share my experiences, and learn from others in an environment which is not utterly intolerant to certain ideas.

At least one of those responding on PFM has been banned from here which is why I'm thinking TAOS might be a better place to discuss such heresy
    Speakers: Wilmslow Audio Prestige, ATC SCM11, B&W 602S02
    Cables: Missing Link Cryo Ref, handmade pure silver Litz braid, Van Damme Blue
    Amps: Hypex nCore400, DIY SET EL34/ECC83, DIY PP KT88 Monoblocks, Hypex UcD400 HG
    DACs: Quad Deck DDDAC, Single Deck DDDAC, Modified Chinese 9018, DIY Russian TDA1543 DAC
    Turntable: Technics SL1200 Modified, linear PSU, Paradise Phono Preamp
    Interconnects: Handmade silver Litz, Missing Link Alaqeia
    Preamps: DIY - buffers, LDR attenuators, stepped pots
    Mains: Balancing transformers, RF filters, handmade cables

I'm Geoff.

You can discuss anything you like in the appropriate area Thommy. AOS is a generally subjective forum and all sorts of ideas can be addressed without members being subjected to hostility or criticism. Politeness is expected from all parties. It is anticipated that not all opinions will be shared or agreed with. If ideas do not suit others, they are free to ignore them and not get involved.

Last edited by walpurgis; 29-08-2021 at 15:31.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

yes some forums like the wam and others are cable sceptic . personally the forum you mentioned has kep me sane all through lockdown , its an incredible place but cables arouse strong feelings

other forums like whatsbest will happily discuss how a 10k cable can make a difference and no one will blink an eyelid !!!

art of sound is a very mixed bunch so yes its a safe place
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Grant.

just dont start with dc mains lol.. i used to work with a guy who worked on it.. nasty stuff.

welcome and as said as long as you dont put your subjective ideas down as fact you will have no issues, or a mod will step in.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

The cable debate has done to death. The whole topic can be essentially compressed into one sentence, are you sitting down. Here goes.....

You either believe or don't believe cables make a difference.

OK, hope that tells you all you need to know.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dennis.

This forum is one of the more tolerant - they even tolerate objectivists like me.

If you really want to be lynched try DIY Audio, I was.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

We welcome all DIY threads, be they involve sources (pickup arms, turntables etc.), electronics (amplifiers, DACs etc.), loudspeakers (including crossover networks), and interconnects.

Where we would advise caution is with the design and construction of mains cables, for reasons of safety. This is very important - the UK mains system can be potentially fatal if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We welcome all DIY threads, be they involve sources (pickup arms, turntables etc.), electronics (amplifiers, DACs etc.), loudspeakers (including crossover networks), and interconnects.

Where we would advise caution is with the design and construction of mains cables, for reasons of safety. This is very important - the UK mains system can be potentially fatal if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
    +1

(That green and yellow bit that sticks out and goes into the plug is optional isn't it? And hardwiring across the fuse point is a cheap upgrade, right??)

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    +1

(That green and yellow bit that sticks out and goes into the plug is optional isn't it? And hardwiring across the fuse point is a cheap upgrade, right??)
    Personally I find that hard wiring across a fuse with leftover silver foil from kit kat wrappers works best, it definitely gives a much improved soundstage and depth to the audio performance, subjectively that is. Who needs foo fuses.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast