+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C3G case removal - preamp tube

I'm Lawrence.

Not giving up on my adaptor idea, what about this one?

Look at this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold-...-/201814708334

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Not giving up on my adaptor idea, what about this one?

Look at this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold-...-/201814708334
    Haha, thanks for your persistence Lawrence,

the pins on a 6SN7 (so the pins on the bottom of the adapter you have linked to) will not fit into the socket of the DAC. The DAC is made to accept C3G pin layout minus the thicker spigot which is on the case of the C3G.

The DAC basically has the bottom of the case around the C3G tube as the socket, so will only accept the tube in it's 'naked' form. I am happily running a pair in there right now (which came with the DAC) but this spare pair have turned up with the case on. I will get around to removing it this weekend I suspect and update.

Thanks for your help anyway gents.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Lawrence.

Ah well, can't say I'm not a trier, just out of interest what is the DAC?

I'm Chris.

Indeed, your efforts are much appreciated!

It's a TDA1541 custom jobbie.

Think you commented on the thread I made about it's little brother which uses a TDA1543 chip. I was so impressed with it I asked the guy who supplied it where I can go from there, this new one was his answer.

The differences are the chip and this one using C3G tubes as opposed to C3M's.

I have to say the TDA1541 version does sound even more organic and natural, I really can't fault it on sheer musicality.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ht=tda1543+dac
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Lawrence.

They look like very interesting DACs, they would probably be right up my street.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    They look like very interesting DACs, they would probably be right up my street.
    I was impressed with the TDA1543 version and more so by the TDA1541 model.

For reference I've had Musical Paradise MP-D1 mk2 (modified), Jolida Glass FX III (modified), SONCOZ SGD1, along with a whole host of popular models, Beresford, Topping etc and this has no equal on that list.

I'm Chris.

So just to update this I took a pair of sharp-nose pliers to the 'lip' near the base.

Made a small incision and started to peel it away whilst being careful not to touch the glass.

Not particularly easy to do at all as it did not want to come away, anyway after some peeling, prizing and a couple of sore thumbs both tubes were free of their cages and happily playing away in the DAC.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well done Chris , that's what I would have done.

If you have to remove them, I would suggest you paint a spot on the glass envelope and on the opposing the valve base fixing, so you know the orientation of the pins. Without the locating spigot the 'bare' valve has no obvious orientation.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well done Chris , that's what I would have done.

If you have to remove them, I would suggest you paint a spot on the glass envelope and on the opposing the valve base fixing, so you know the orientation of the pins. Without the locating spigot the 'bare' valve has no obvious orientation.
    Good point Barry, except one of the glass 'nubs' around one of the pins actually has a squared off side as opposed to spherical. As the tube socket in the DAC already has one of those marking (as do the old tubes) you can orientate it from this. However a little mark on the tube as you describe would make it even more fool proof!

Cheers

I'm Grant.

but will you remember that in 5 yrs time? i probably wouldn't.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast