+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odyssey amps

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Fair enough, And i am fine, thanks Alan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Anthony, hope you are well there.

Good point about a 'sweeping statement', the fact that it was has me thinking people might realise I have heard a few amps in my time.
    It's not one I have any professional involvement in, in fact I shelled out my own wonga to buy one.

IME it is the most transparent amplifier out there, having heard/borrowed/designed a lot of different ones/types.
    Without getting into published figures 'it does what it says on the tin' to borrow an advertising phrase.

That's my opinion, but I certainly haven't heard every amplifier in the world, or am ever likely to, particularly ones that have telephone number pricing.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martin.

There have been a couple of built ones for sale is what I was trying to say.
    Here is a new one for sale https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133818918...bkc02ylrr00003

I would also highly recommend this amplifier.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

That one is a particularly fine example.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

If I wasn't happy with what I already have I would have bought it myself.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    any links ? never heard of them
    Yes please!!

I'm Adrian.

Hi Anthony, hope you are well there.

Good point about a 'sweeping statement', the fact that it was has me thinking people might realise I have heard a few amps in my time.
    It's not one I have any professional involvement in, in fact I shelled out my own wonga to buy one.

IME it is the most transparent amplifier out there, having heard/borrowed/designed a lot of different ones/types.
    Without getting into published figures 'it does what it says on the tin' to borrow an advertising phrase.

That's my opinion, but I certainly haven't heard every amplifier in the world, or am ever likely to, particularly ones that have telephone number pricing.
    Was it the Neurochrome 686 that I heard at yours a few days ago Alan? If it was then all I can say is that in your set up driving the Quad statics it was certainly impressive, very open, great depth and sound stage, I was surprised by the bass depth from the Quads and the control. Very similar I would say to my Krell KSA-80 but I am sure there are subtle differences. would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

Alternatively I think Steve would not go far wrong with one of these or even one of these if in good condition:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224519195...cAAOSw079g309y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194204643...wAAOSwXHJgyMmA
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Was it the Neurochrome 686 that I heard at yours a few days ago Alan? If it was then all I can say is that in your set up driving the Quad statics it was certainly impressive, very open, great depth and sound stage, I was surprised by the bass depth from the Quads and the control. Very similar I would say to my Krell KSA-80 but I am sure there are subtle differences. would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

Alternatively I think Steve would not go far wrong with one of these or even one of these if in good condition:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224519195...cAAOSw079g309y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194204643...wAAOSwXHJgyMmA
    Much as I like Krells I think I'd still go with the Neurochrome if starting from scratch. Interesting that the seller says the KSA100 was not designed by D'Augustino 'Unlike more recent ones'. He's got that arse about face.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Much as I like Krells I think I'd still go with the Neurochrome if starting from scratch. Interesting that the seller says the KSA100 was not designed by D'Augustino 'Unlike more recent ones'. He's got that arse about face.
    Hi Martin, I think you mis-read what he said "VERY MUSICAL, WITH SOME WARMTH AND LIQUIDITY LIKE A VALVE AMLIFIER, UNLIKE MORE RECENT KRELLS NOT DESIGNED BY DAN D'AGOSTINO" He's saying the more recent ones are not designed by Dan.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Colin.

https://odysseyaudio.com/

I assume these amps.

Colin

I'm John.

Very similar to the Audiolab 8300XP I’m running, same Sanken output transistors, similar looking power supply. Might be worth getting a listen to one of those Steve. Certainly more readily available with good service back up. I think they’re a great amp, especially for the price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast