+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm upgrades

I'm Nick.

Default Tonearm upgrades

Just idly wondering where I would go next with tonearm on my Focus One, if anywhere.
    Currently a Linn Basik Plus with K9. So the plinth is drilled out for Linn.
    At the moment it goes via a Pro-ject Phono Box MM into my Sonos AMP (the new one).
    I’d like to run it through my Arcam AVR380 and Rega ELAs, but have to find a suitable space.

So it begs the question of whether the deck would improve noticeably with a somewhat better arm and if so, given the Linn mount limitation, which ones. Probably wouldn’t get away with much over £300-400.
    Higher end Linns cost too much. Wondered about Missions or lower end Michells.
    The obvious Rega/SME mount choices would need new holes and I’m not sure if that’s possible with a Linn hole already there.
    Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Nick
    Inputs: Arcam Delta 270 Cd, Michell Focus One/Linn Basik Plus/Linn K9, Sonos PORT
    Amps: Arcam AVR380, Sonos AMP
    Speakers: Rega ELA, DALI Oberon (on-wall)
    There’s a rambling history of my hi-fi voyage in the “About me” bit

I'm John.

For Linn geometry you could have a look at 9" Pro-Ject Arms, not 100% sure but one of the newer carbon arms could well be an upgrade.
    Another area to seriously consider is your cart, as whilst the k9 is okay, there are far better out there for your Budget from AT, Ortofon & Goldring.

I'm Nick.

Thanks! The cart is a good thought and may well be a better way to allocate funds. Incidentally, I do also have a Linn Trak with not many miles on it. But I believe the LV Plus is not so good with MCs. Plus I’d need an MC phono amp. Although I could use the preamp section of my old Arcam Delta 290. Hmmmm…
    Last edited by Nicks951; 07-09-2021 at 14:53.
    Inputs: Arcam Delta 270 Cd, Michell Focus One/Linn Basik Plus/Linn K9, Sonos PORT

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Another area to seriously consider is your cart, as whilst the k9 is okay, there are far better out there for your Budget from AT, Ortofon & Goldring.
    Agree, I'd look to a cartridge upgrade first
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Geoff.

The higher mass Linn LV-V arm is an economic drop-in substitution and has the ability to handle lower compliance MC cartridges. A Denon DL-110 high output MC will suit the LV-V and be a significant improvement over the K9 and it will work into an MM phono stage.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Ahh. Interestingly I “upgraded” from LV-V to LV Plus. The LV-V might still be in the loft. I had assumed the Plus to be a good, if not large, step up!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks951 View Post
    Ahh. Interestingly I “upgraded” from LV-V to LV Plus. The LV-V might still be in the loft. I had assumed the Plus to be a good, if not large, step up!
    It may have been with high compliance carts, but the majority of MC's are lowish compliance and like a bit of mass.

The LV-V can be improved with a more rigid cast headshell rather than the standard item.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

That’s a thought. Do you happen to know where one might find such a thing? I’ve had a pretty good look and couldn’t see anything ��

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks951 View Post
    That’s a thought. Do you happen to know where one might find such a thing? I’ve had a pretty good look and couldn’t see anything ��
    Cast alloy headshells are easy enough to find. I've actually got a few new spare ones, KAM branded and perfectly decent quality if you need one.

I'm Nick.

Thanks! I see. I was being too specific with my searches. I can see quite a few now. How much are yours?
    I also see titanium ones, is that a good thing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast