+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion - what to choose

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    Thank you for this information.
    Again, although no first hand experience, I had it in my head that B&W can be quite “forward” sounding. Not sure where this comes from though.
    I’ll have a look at the DM2As as you suggest. Thanks.
    That will be their house sound in recent years, going back then they were more neutral.

These Celestions are very good.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...finish.258983/

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    That will be their house sound in recent years, going back then they were more neutral.

These Celestions are very good.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...finish.258983/
    Thank you for the link.
    A real shame, though. Having had a look at some photos and if I’m not mistaken, all of the “A” range are rear ported and with my standing wave issues in the lounge, I’ve vowed never again to have a pair of rear ported speakers.
    The search continues but at least there are now a few more names on the list.

I'm Geoff.

You didn't actually say how old in vintage terms you'd consider, there are good speakers going back to the sixties and some even before.

Do you have a budget limit and what's the biggest speaker you'd consider?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You didn't actually say how old in vintage terms you'd consider, there are good speakers going back to the sixties and some even before.

Do you have a budget limit and what's the biggest speaker you'd consider?
    Thanks. If I’m being sensible - and because I don’t have the skills to carry out upgrades and repairs - I guess I really shouldn’t be looking at anything much over 30/35 years old?
    The biggest speaker would have to be no more than about 90/95cm tall and say 30/35cm wide. Anything bigger would not only look rubbish in the lounge but also wouldn’t be ‘rubber stamped’.
    I haven’t totally ruled out stand mounts either but I’ve got quite used to my current floor standers and like how they look.
    I could never see myself spending over £1000 on used speakers unless my numbers came up!
    I guess I’d be happier in the £300-£500 range.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I have a Rega Brio-R and have tried a fair few pairs of speakers with it over the years - with my Spendor SP1’s it sounds fantastic, but it depends on what qualities of sound you are after, and what sort of music you listen to. I focus on clarity of sound especially in the midrange and not really a “bass head” and the combination works very well. I’m very much a fan of the “BBC sound” which the SP1’s exemplify, but probably older than you’re looking for and getting rare to find in good cosmetic condition. Another set in my collection which work well is a pair of RAM 150’s - similar sound, and dimensions, but a bit bassier with an additional ABR instead of a super tweeter - similar era and looks to the Celestions which were their contemporary but don’t come up very often, although currently a pair on eBay at £165 which would be good value.

Currently the Rega is wired up to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220’s which are nowhere near your “brief” as they are relatively modern and much cheaper, but again, really sing as a combination if you are not playing at ridiculous volumes or want bass to bring down the ceiling.

One of my all time favourite speakers at the budget end which sing with just about anything is the KEF Coda 9 floorstander from the 90’s which you could get for less than a ton and would really surprise most people if they haven’t heard them...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I have a Rega Brio-R and have tried a fair few pairs of speakers with it over the years - with my Spendor SP1’s it sounds fantastic, but it depends on what qualities of sound you are after, and what sort of music you listen to. I focus on clarity of sound especially in the midrange and not really a “bass head” and the combination works very well. I’m very much a fan of the “BBC sound” which the SP1’s exemplify, but probably older than you’re looking for and getting rare to find in good cosmetic condition. Another set in my collection which work well is a pair of RAM 150’s - similar sound, and dimensions, but a bit bassier with an additional ABR instead of a super tweeter - similar era and looks to the Celestions which were their contemporary but don’t come up very often, although currently a pair on eBay at £165 which would be good value.

Currently the Rega is wired up to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220’s which are nowhere near your “brief” as they are relatively modern and much cheaper, but again, really sing as a combination if you are not playing at ridiculous volumes or want bass to bring down the ceiling.

One of my all time favourite speakers at the budget end which sing with just about anything is the KEF Coda 9 floorstander from the 90’s which you could get for less than a ton and would really surprise most people if they haven’t heard them...
    I keep reading and hearing so much about BBC type speakers (LS3/5A and the like) and Spendor, Harbeth, Rogers, etc that I’ve been wondering for some time now if it’s a type of speaker that I should listen to whilst my hearing is still holding up.
    My music tastes are varied; Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, Elton, happy to listen to 60s/70s but no heavy metal, dance music or classical.

I'm Lawrence.

Thank you for the link.
    A real shame, though. Having had a look at some photos and if I’m not mistaken, all of the “A” range are rear ported and with my standing wave issues in the lounge, I’ve vowed never again to have a pair of rear ported speakers.
    The search continues but at least there are now a few more names on the list.
    I know what you mean but I had a very interesting experience with the A3s and A2s. They were both near the wall and there was no boom. I couldn't explain why it was almost as though they had been designed to minimise the effect of the rear wall.

I'm Geoff.

My music tastes are varied; Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, Elton, happy to listen to 60s/70s but no heavy metal, dance music or classical.
    Well a year or two back, I was listening to all that kind of stuff including dance, heavy metal and classical through large Tannoy Cheviot II speakers with the Monitor 3128 drivers and they sounded superb. Might be a bit above your budget though and a bit big, not to mention scarce. But right now I'm using a modest set of KEF Corellis and they are equally great in their own way, for the size I find them very satisfying.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

I used Ditton 66s for several years with a Rega Brio R and they were good - way too good for the TV duties they did for most of the time. They are now being used (again with a Brio R) by a friend of mine, and he loves them.

So don't be put off.

The person who has them now previously had Ditton 44s which he enjoyed, but not as much as the 66s. The 66s have a better midrange that the 44s.

My pair of 66s had been upgraded with Hiquphon tweeters and the crossovers tweeked to compensate. There are meg threads on DIY audio about Ditton crossovers.

I'm not a big fan of Tannoys; yes they're dynamic but I've never heard a pair that I liked enough to buy. I'm also not a big fan of BBC LS3/5A style speakers, as they are a bit too polite and boring for me.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I used Ditton 66s for several years with a Rega Brio R and they were good - way too good for the TV duties they did for most of the time. They are now being used (again with a Brio R) by a friend of mine, and he loves them.

So don't be put off.

The person who has them now previously had Ditton 44s which he enjoyed, but not as much as the 66s. The 66s have a better midrange that the 44s.

My pair of 66s had been upgraded with Hiquphon tweeters and the crossovers tweeked to compensate. There are meg threads on DIY audio about Ditton crossovers.

I'm not a big fan of Tannoys; yes they're dynamic but I've never heard a pair that I liked enough to buy. I'm also not a big fan of BBC LS3/5A style speakers, as they are a bit too polite and boring for me.
    thank you for taking the time to reply.
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that there are potentially so many choices that I probably need just to take the plunge, try something and see if I like it or not.
    do you mind me asking what room size the 66s are now being used in?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast