+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion - what to choose

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I remember back around 1983 listening to a pair of Celestion SL6's and being completely blown away by the vocal realism. The track in question was by Joan Armatrading 'Love and affection' and was truly amazing. The demo was at a local dealer using a Logic DM101 and Crimson Electric monoblocks and preamp. I've never forgotten that sound.
    Yes, they are better than those originally mentioned.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    Could I ask if there are particular KEF models that you would point me towards?
    Well don't let me put you off Celestions, you'd probably find the original Ditton 15's good fun. The ones with the HF1300 tweeter. They tend to be very reliable if not over-driven.

As for earlier KEFs, I have a soft spot for the original Concerto and the Chorale. I like the Corelli a lot! I never quite came to terms with the 'rubbery' ABR bass from the 104 variants and the Cadenza, but they're not bad.

A lot of Concertos have been ripped apart by people looking for B110 drivers for their LS3/5a clone builds and as spares.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

The original 15's are to my ears the best and I've modded 4 pairs of 15XR's and 15's, the sensitivity of the original 15's is 90db.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No, it doesn’t have to be the older Celestions. I haven’t come across the A series before - I’ll have a look. Is there a particular model you would point me towards?
    The range is
    A Compact
    A1
    A2
    A3

the A3 are monsters and superb but too big for your room. I had the A2 for many years, good speaker but again large with very deep bass, might be too much for your room
    The A1 and the Compact are small two-ways, the A1 is very good but not a 'forever' speaker. I've never heard the Compact.

My suggestion for a forever speaker for your room would be JBL. There was a pair on here recently that would have been ideal but I think they have sold now.

Any of their 3 way standmount models from about 1977 to 1990, should all come in at a grand or less. Get some before more people discover them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I used to be a vintage Kef fanboy until I bought some B&W DM2As them I realised that the Kef's, while good for their age, could be surpassed by contemporaries. In particularly their adherence to the T27 tweeter with known issues (later corrected by the aB upgrade on the Ref 104s) and B110 (which needed quite a bit of correction in the crossover to sound as good as it did in the LS3/5a).

I always found the addition of a HF2000 supertweeter to be beneficial to the sound of Kef drivers like in the Cambridge R50. I'm sure that would be the case with the Celestions too.

Regarding the A series I guess it depends on the size of your room, Is say the A1 or A2 depending on whether you want a bit more bass or don't like standmounts.

But I'd also recommend trying the B&W DM2As. There was always something about them I found myself going back to. So much so I've owned 3 or 4 pairs over the years. They do benefit from a low stand though (about 20-30cm) and shouldn't be mounted higher. Atacama make nice ones with 4 legs, I forget the model but there's an XL version for these sort of BBC dimensions.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Well don't let me put you off Celestions, you'd probably find the original Ditton 15's good fun. The ones with the HF1300 tweeter. They tend to be very reliable if not over-driven.

As for earlier KEFs, I have a soft spot for the original Concerto and the Chorale. I like the Corelli a lot! I never quite came to terms with the 'rubbery' ABR bass from the 104 variants and the Cadenza, but they're not bad.

A lot of Concertos have been ripped apart by people looking for B110 drivers for their LS3/5a clone builds and as spares.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    The original 15's are to my ears the best and I've modded 4 pairs of 15XR's and 15's, the sensitivity of the original 15's is 90db.
    Thanks for the info

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

My suggestion for a forever speaker for your room would be JBL. There was a pair on here recently that would have been ideal but I think they have sold now.

Any of their 3 way standmount models from about 1977 to 1990, should all come in at a grand or less. Get some before more people discover them.
    Thank you for the A series list.
    re the JBLs - have obviously heard the name but no experience of them. Do any specific models come to mind?

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

But I'd also recommend trying the B&W DM2As. There was always something about them I found myself going back to. So much so I've owned 3 or 4 pairs over the years. They do benefit from a low stand though (about 20-30cm) and shouldn't be mounted higher. Atacama make nice ones with 4 legs, I forget the model but there's an XL version for these sort of BBC dimensions.
    Thank you for this information.
    Again, although no first hand experience, I had it in my head that B&W can be quite “forward” sounding. Not sure where this comes from though.
    I’ll have a look at the DM2As as you suggest. Thanks.

I'm Martin.

Thank you for the A series list.
    re the JBLs - have obviously heard the name but no experience of them. Do any specific models come to mind?
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...l-series.shtml
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast