+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Celestion - what to choose

I'm Stuart.

[QUOTE=Pigmy Pony
    Also Marco has (had) a pair which he had tweaked, and rated them highly. Let us know what you think.[/QUOTE]

It could well be a few days before I connect them up but very happy to report back

I'm Stuart.

Thank you for the link. I’ll have a look.
    having given the cabinets a quick polish, I’m fairly happy with overall condition apart from this small area of damage which I really do want to sort out.
    unless anyone shouts very loudly ‘don’t do it’, I was planning to remove the speaker drivers from the cabinets just to make sure there aren’t any ‘nasty surprises’ lurking. Whether I would spot them even if there are, remains to be seen though.

I'm Patrick.

I would play them before you start taking them to bits.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I would play them before you start taking them to bits.
    Thank you, Patrick. That’s probably some of the best (and much needed) advice I’ve received in ages.
    I do have this tendency to “jump in” too quickly/not read instructions, etc, etc.
    Stuart

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    My mum used to have 15XRs, which I borrowed for a while when I was between speakers. Much better than I expected them to be. When I inherited them a few years ago I should have kept them, but no room in this house for surplus stuff. So I sold them at a car boot sale. They were nearly mint and I let them go for £30. I'm still pissed off with myself

Also Marco has (had) a pair which he had tweaked, and rated them highly. Let us know what you think.
    the 15XRs were connected to my system for about an hour or so earlier today.
    limited listening time therefore so far.
    I always seem to have trouble describing what I’m hearing in the same way as others can but initial impressions are that the Celestions are less ‘laid back’ than my Castle Severns - dare I say the overall sound is more ‘agressive’ (is that a hifi word?) than the Castles. Agressive in a good way, though. More detail and clarity, especially accoustic guitar.
    listening to Don Henley vocals - more gritty on the 15XRs.
    Bass is better defined.
    Not sure if I’m going to find the Celestions as relaxing a listen as the Castles, but that could be in part getting used to a new sound.
    Only had them sitting on chairs, not stands.
    Fairly sure that all the drivers are working as they should.
    Any thoughts or clarification as to what I think I’m hearing, much appreciated.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    the 15XRs were connected to my system for about an hour or so earlier today.
    limited listening time therefore so far.
    I always seem to have trouble describing what I’m hearing in the same way as others can but initial impressions are that the Celestions are less ‘laid back’ than my Castle Severns - dare I say the overall sound is more ‘agressive’ (is that a hifi word?) than the Castles. Agressive in a good way, though. More detail and clarity, especially accoustic guitar.
    listening to Don Henley vocals - more gritty on the 15XRs.
    Bass is better defined.
    Not sure if I’m going to find the Celestions as relaxing a listen as the Castles, but that could be in part getting used to a new sound.
    Only had them sitting on chairs, not stands.
    Fairly sure that all the drivers are working as they should.
    Any thoughts or clarification as to what I think I’m hearing, much appreciated.
    So the Celestions are not necessarily better than the Castle Severns, just 'different'? Might be an idea to live with the 15XRs for a couple of weeks, playing a variety of your favourite music, then switch back to the Castles.

When I had use of my mother's ones, I had them on 16" (iirc) stands. Might make a difference
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    So the Celestions are not necessarily better than the Castle Severns, just 'different'? Might be an idea to live with the 15XRs for a couple of weeks, playing a variety of your favourite music, then switch back to the Castles.

When I had use of my mother's ones, I had them on 16" (iirc) stands. Might make a difference
    Thanks.
    Exactly how I’m feeling about the 15XRs at this early stage. Not better or worse but definitely different. Even I can hear it!
    I’m currently looking at Atacamas -30cm stands. They would leave tweeters at ear height in normal seating position.

I'm Lawrence.

Castles are well known for their natural, laid back sound - they are Marmite speakers, but if you really like them you might find you struggle with most other brands.

I'm Lawrence.

In fact now you've mentioned Castles, I'm thinking Kef Reference Model 1/2/3/4, they are a beautiful sounding upgrade to the Castle sound. Don't get the .2 upgrades though as they deviated a bit from the laid back sound.

You'd also need a new amp after a while to get the most out of them as they thrive on power. Although they sound more laid back with less watts so you might enjoy them with the Rega.

I'm Geoff.

Some detailed/close-up photos of the 15XR's would be good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast