+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Celestion - what to choose

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some detailed/close-up photos of the 15XR's would be good.
    Gladly. It’s the least I can do after all the help and advice I’ve received.
    Will try to get it sorted later today.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Castles are well known for their natural, laid back sound - they are Marmite speakers, but if you really like them you might find you struggle with most other brands.
    Thank you. I think that my lack of experience in (not) having listened to many different speakers over the years, is going to mean that the differences between different makes and models are going to come as a bit of a shock to me.
    I like the way that my Castles sound but that it is probably only because I find them non fatiguing. Before the Castles, I had a pair of old MA Bronze (something) and I found them tiring to listen to and sold them on within months.
    I have to accept that I am probably running out of years (and energy) to try and listen to all those speakers that I really should have listened to 20/30 years ago. I guess life just got in the way.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    In fact now you've mentioned Castles, I'm thinking Kef Reference Model 1/2/3/4, they are a beautiful sounding upgrade to the Castle sound. Don't get the .2 upgrades though as they deviated a bit from the laid back sound.

You'd also need a new amp after a while to get the most out of them as they thrive on power. Although they sound more laid back with less watts so you might enjoy them with the Rega.
    Sorry to have to ask what might appear a ‘dumb’ question (lack of experience again), but would the 104 AB be one of the speakers you’re referring to or am I just getting the model range totally muddled?
    Thanks again
    Stuart

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    Sorry to have to ask what might appear a ‘dumb’ question (lack of experience again), but would the 104 AB be one of the speakers you’re referring to or am I just getting the model range totally muddled?
    Thanks again
    Stuart
    No. The 104 and the similar 104AB are earlier and still a well respected design and for some quite desirable. They are close relatives acoustically to the earlier Cadenza model and later Calinda speaker. Each of which utilises versions of the BD139 passive bass radiator (ABR). The Celestion Ditton 15XR and original Ditton 15 also employ ABR units, just in case you pop the lower driver out and wonder where the magnet went! Many manufacturers use passive radiators.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No. The 104 and the similar 104AB are earlier and still a well respected design and for some quite desirable. They are close relatives acoustically to the earlier Cadenza model and later Calinda speaker. Each of which utilises versions of the BD139 passive bass radiator (ABR). The Celestion Ditton 15XR and original Ditton 15 also employ ABR units, just in case you pop the lower driver out and wonder where the magnet went! Many manufacturers use passive radiators.
    Thanks for the info. I had already realised that the lower driver was an ABR, but I'm grateful to you for pointing this out.

Well, hopefully below there should be some photos. I will apologise in advance, though. I've never posted any images on the forum before today and if there is an image size restriction, then I may have fallen foul of it.

Sadly, with a recent reformatting of a hard drive and re installation of Windows, I haven't yet got round to re-installing Lightroom, so don't know how to reduce image size in W10.

The final photo shows some minor damage to one of the cabinets. It's nothing major and looks much worse in the photo than in real life! I'm going to get hold of a 5mm veneer strip from somewhere and try to repair it unless anyone has a better idea.

Update - after uploading the photos, the order seems to have changed. So the photo showing cabinet damage may not be last. Photos of both speakers are included, though and you'll also see one of my Castle Severn 2s in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Stuart.

Incidentally, if anyone could let me know what that horrid orange/brown discolouration on the ABR is, then I'd be most grateful.
    Thank you all.

I'm Stuart.

Believe it or not, I also have wanted ads for a pair of Ruark Talisman IIs which I've always wanted to try. Not instead of Celestions, but in addition to. I think I'm trying to make up for lost time!

Today and out of the blue, I was offered a pair in Rosewood. Sadly I had to decline and from the photos above, I guess you'll all be able to work out why.

I'm Geoff.

Incidentally, if anyone could let me know what that horrid orange/brown discolouration on the ABR is, then I'd be most grateful.
    Thank you all.
    It's just aged assembly adhesive and normal. You'd probable cause damage trying to remove it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Thank you all.
    Don't know, but my mum's had exactly the same 'staining'. And seeing other examples knocking about, I noted that this is quite normal, just a bit unsightly. I suppose that portion of the ABR could be 'painted' a colour that complements your decor - if they were mine my missus would have me do that, I know what she's like
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Bit left field but if you like the Castles these have just come up, and they are efficient so perfect for your Rega. Quite a fan base on the forums I'd go for it if I were you.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/top...voice-avatars/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast