good morning all
new member here.
long term lover of music, but don’t have the experience of many others of having used/owned different hi-if components.
I was only asking the other day where I was during the time when British companies made some of the best (affordable) hifi kit around and I let it pass me by.
Anyway, for reasons which I can’t really explain I have a desire to try a pair of legacy Celestion Dittons. I would have liked to try some Tannoy DCs but my budget just isn’t going to stretch that far. Well I suppose it could if I could be sure from the outset that I was getting my “for ever” speakers.
I’m struggling to know where to start.
the obvious place is perhaps a pair of 15Xrs, but I’ve also tried to read up on 25s, 33s, 44s and 66s. I wouldn’t mind having to tidy up the cabinets but I would not have the skills to change internal components, etc.
If relevant, the room size is 4.3m * 3.8m & my amp is a Rega Brio. I have a nasty bass hump/standing wave present at around 44/45Hz which when I use my streamer, I can equalise this out so that the house doesn’t shake.
I guess what I’m looking for are a pair of speakers which will last me a few years without having the constant urge to upgrade to something “better”.
Any help very much appreciated, even if it’s to say give up before you start and just enjoy what you have (which by the way are a mint pair of Castle Severn 2s which are a delight to listen to from a non-fatiguing perspective).
What should I look out for with Celestions? Are there any obvious pitfalls, danger signs, etc. How easy/difficult ,might it be to source replacement parts?
Are any of the models such a head and shoulders jump above others that those are the ones to go for?
Thanks everyone.
Stuart