+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is TAOS a 'safe space'?

I'm Grant.

the cheese instead of a visual warning is more a smello-warning.

ive seen a few nails used in my day; silver foil was a regular usually wrapped around fuse
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I like the 'auto alert' one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Personally I find that hard wiring across a fuse with leftover silver foil from kit kat wrappers works best, it definitely gives a much improved soundstage and depth to the audio performance, subjectively that is. Who needs foo fuses.
    Used the silver paper out my fag packet to get my 550 kwak running to get shot of it at auction. Just unfortunate the main fuse had blown in the middle of the clyde tunnel....A rather memorable uphill push in full bike gear.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Whilst the above posts are amusing, they will do little to encourage Thommy to regard AoS as a "safe space" for him to discuss his design and construction of a mains cable. His post makes no mention of mains connectors, so it is a little unfair to show examples of the flagrent disregard and the overiding of mains plug safety features.

It would be much better to allow Thommmy to describe his design before opening it up for discussion and comment.
    Barry

I'm Bruce.

I read TAOS, safe space, and life stuff and assumed this was about something completely different! Got that wrong.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Thommy.

Some hilarious responses here, thanks guys

Next time I make a cable I'll take some pics, post the construction process and if I omit the instructions on which wire goes to which pin on the plug, then that way TAOS should be out of the line of fire in case of any mishaps.

Personally I think that if you can't wire a plug correctly you have no business being in a DIY electronics forum to begin with. The discussion I want to kick off is more related to copper cross-section, insulation of the wires and interference rejection properties - rather than which wire goes to which pin on the plug.
    Speakers: Wilmslow Audio Prestige, ATC SCM11, B&W 602S02
    Cables: Missing Link Cryo Ref, handmade pure silver Litz braid, Van Damme Blue
    Amps: Hypex nCore400, DIY SET EL34/ECC83, DIY PP KT88 Monoblocks, Hypex UcD400 HG
    DACs: Quad Deck DDDAC, Single Deck DDDAC, Modified Chinese 9018, DIY Russian TDA1543 DAC
    Turntable: Technics SL1200 Modified, linear PSU, Paradise Phono Preamp
    Interconnects: Handmade silver Litz, Missing Link Alaqeia
    Preamps: DIY - buffers, LDR attenuators, stepped pots
    Mains: Balancing transformers, RF filters, handmade cables

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy View Post
    "Silver oxide is seriously non-conductive, there is NO place for silver in hifi designs, you NEED to read this study..." etc.
    While silver tarnishes easily, silver tarnish is still a good conductor which is why military spec switches and connectors usually have silver plating.

Copper verdigris, on the other hand, is a semiconductor and really mucks up signal quality.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy View Post
    The discussion I want to kick off is more related to copper cross-section, insulation of the wires and interference rejection properties - rather than which wire goes to which pin on the plug.
    OK, I’m happy to start:

- The cross section of the wires needs to be sufficient to carry the current required by the equipment. Anything more is a pointless.

- Insulation of the wires is a good idea otherwise they’ll short out.

- Interference rejection is the job of the equipment, not the cable.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Actually, that reminds me, I must unplug the the kettle cable from my amp and return it to the kitchen.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Actually, that reminds me, I must unplug the the kettle cable from my amp and return it to the kitchen.
    I recently found that a DIY Supra shielded mains cable I made years ago was causing a fizzy sort of noise through the speakers when used with Class D amps. Everything construction wise was fine. I swapped in an old kettle lead and it was silent! Don't be too hasty to get it back in the kitchen!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast