+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Interconnects

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Default DIY Interconnects

I'm probably going to get hammered for this post.

After initially using standard cheap interconnects, I stepped up to more expensive cheap interconnects and outfitted my system with Acoustic Research IC's (the blue ones with the molded plugs). I've had more than one issue with the plugs they use. Anyway... they did allow "more sound to get through" than the cheap ones.

Then, since I can, I decided to make a set of IC's a la Kimber Kable's braided cable. I had enough Rat Shack intercom, yes intercom, wire to make two sets. I believe it is AWG 24. Of course, the insulation is most likely PVC or something rather than PTFE/Teflon (a big no-no). However, the difference between these IC's and the original cheapies was/is even more profound than going to the Acoustic Research. (Fortunately, I didn't and do not now live in an area with a lot of penetrating (the house) EMF/RFI. Unfortunately, in my current setup, they are not quite long enough to connect gear from one rack to the neighboring rack. Maybe the magic ingredient is the wire itself. The intercom wire has a solid copper core. It is less flexible. Still, when I remove these cables from the system it is a let down every time. Anyone else have a favorite (cable) recipe?

(I did not feel they were well-suited to go between my tonearm and phono pre or between my preamp and power amp. Elsewhere, I am quite pleased at the improvement.)

I am now investigating making cables the same way but with a solid core silver wire/PTFE insulation as the hot wire and copper as ground and semi-ground.

I know...all cables sound the same. It's all in my mind.
    Last edited by WOStantonCS100; 15-02-2022 at 04:53. Reason: wrong word choice
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Alan.

Cables definitely do not give the same sound.
    I'm against saying a cable has a 'sound' of its own, it's all about how it affects or fits into the system you are using.

Excellent result for little outlay
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Rob.

I found this article whilst Googling for Capacitance and Inductance as related to audio interconnects and although a fairly long read seems ot explain in simple terms how a cable "works" and what can make cables sound different.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whatwiredoes.htm
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm mike.

I was once in the camp that felt there wasn't much gain in buying fancy cables, preferrring to make my own out of Klotz AC110 and neutrik plugs. However finding a spare few bob down the sofa and out of curiosity I bought a couple of sets of Audioquests Golden Gate cables and some of the Rocket 22 speaker cable, I was quite surprised to hear a distinct improvement with the sound hving more clarity and space than before, they are all relativley cheap in cable terms so I was quite chuffed.
    The enjoyable part about making your own though is the fun of experimenting with differnt things and well, just making stuff ........

.....now where's that book on tube amps and those speaker plans....................
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    I'm probably going to get hammered for this post.

I know...all cables sound the same. It's all in my mind.
    They definitely do not sound the same and it is not all in your or my mind for that matter. Over the years I and a audioholic friend have experiment with a variety of cables, interconnects, speaker and tonearm and digital. Every different cable even from the same manufacturers impacts the sound and causes has differences to how it is presented IMHO. In some cases the changes are substantial and others not so.

One think I have determined is that spending lots of dosh on cables does not necessarilly get you a better sound or result, sometimes there are hidden gems at a ship of the cost of 'high-End" cables, another aspect is that certain types of cable will work better with some kit than other, this is especially true with amps and speakers.

As for DIY cables there are lots of possibilities out there, Kimber speaker cables are highly regarded but are pretty costly IMO, however if you hunt a bit on the web there are kits available from a chap in the US which use the same cable from the manufacturer and are about 1/4 the cost. A friend recently upgraded his amp(quite high-end) and was persuaded to try out several speaker cables, unfortunately for him he found that the most expensive worked best with his speakers, that was until I suggested he tried some EWA LS-80 cables from Colin Wonder which saved him quite a bit.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I found this article whilst Googling for Capacitance and Inductance as related to audio interconnects and although a fairly long read seems ot explain in simple terms how a cable "works" and what can make cables sound different.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whatwiredoes.htm
    Reading.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Cables definitely do not give the same sound.
    I'm against saying a cable has a 'sound' of its own, it's all about how it affects or fits into the system you are using.

Excellent result for little outlay
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty bearing View Post
    I was once in the camp that felt there wasn't much gain in buying fancy cables, preferrring to make my own out of Klotz AC110 and neutrik plugs. However finding a spare few bob down the sofa and out of curiosity I bought a couple of sets of Audioquests Golden Gate cables and some of the Rocket 22 speaker cable, I was quite surprised to hear a distinct improvement with the sound hving more clarity and space than before, they are all relativley cheap in cable terms so I was quite chuffed.
    The enjoyable part about making your own though is the fun of experimenting with differnt things and well, just making stuff ........

.....now where's that book on tube amps and those speaker plans....................
    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    They definitely do not sound the same and it is not all in your or my mind for that matter. Over the years I and a audioholic friend have experiment with a variety of cables, interconnects, speaker and tonearm and digital. Every different cable even from the same manufacturers impacts the sound and causes has differences to how it is presented IMHO. In some cases the changes are substantial and others not so.

One think I have determined is that spending lots of dosh on cables does not necessarilly get you a better sound or result, sometimes there are hidden gems at a ship of the cost of 'high-End" cables, another aspect is that certain types of cable will work better with some kit than other, this is especially true with amps and speakers.

As for DIY cables there are lots of possibilities out there, Kimber speaker cables are highly regarded but are pretty costly IMO, however if you hunt a bit on the web there are kits available from a chap in the US which use the same cable from the manufacturer and are about 1/4 the cost. A friend recently upgraded his amp(quite high-end) and was persuaded to try out several speaker cables, unfortunately for him he found that the most expensive worked best with his speakers, that was until I suggested he tried some EWA LS-80 cables from Colin Wonder which saved him quite a bit.
    That's the big fear. "Hearing" a cable that does it for me, checks all the boxes... ...and it costs three times as much as any of my gear. I don't think I could justify the expense and would have to walk away, sobbing.

I'm charles.

OK, here ya go: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

He uses what he calls AirLock insulation which is superior to Teflon.

the dielectric constant for Teflon is 2.1
    for perfect vacuum 1.0
    his AirLock 1.45

Sells OCC 24AWG pure silver single solid core wire for $10.99/ft

He has lots of great stuff on his site and is competitively priced. Also stocks the outstanding KLE RCA connectors and so does Parts Connexion who often have them on special.

I have tried lots of connectors including Furutech but the KLE plugs, even the cheapest are IMO better. They are low mass and interfere less with the signal. I feel the connectors are as or more important than the cable.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    OK, here ya go: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

He uses what he calls AirLock insulation which is superior to Teflon.

the dielectric constant for Teflon is 2.1
    for perfect vacuum 1.0
    his AirLock 1.45

Sells OCC 24AWG pure silver single solid core wire for $10.99/ft

He has lots of great stuff on his site and is competitively priced. Also stocks the outstanding KLE RCA connectors and so does Parts Connexion who often have them on special.

I have tried lots of connectors including Furutech but the KLE plugs, even the cheapest are IMO better. They are low mass and interfere less with the signal. I feel the connectors are as or more important than the cable.
    Mmm, generally good materials and construction but when someone starts talking about skin n effect then it’s all getting a bit esoteric and unproven physically IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

My view is that generally if equipment is adequately designed, cables make little difference, but with less than adequate designs, they can be used to ameliorate oddities in sound, and produce a more appealing result.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast