+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thorens TD 160

I'm Steve.

It’s all black now, just seemed to look right, to me anyway!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Bryan.

Default It looks impressive !

I've got an original one owner unmolested 160B ii and SME iii. It's rather nice IMHO but one thing that concerns me what happens if the motor fails? Is there a supply of new motors or can they be repaired?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 58bry View Post
    I've got an original one owner unmolested 160B ii and SME iii. It's rather nice IMHO but one thing that concerns me what happens if the motor fails? Is there a supply of new motors or can they be repaired?
    The motors are just about bomb proof and usually a noisy motor can be rectified with a thrust bearing kit, the only thing that can't be easily fixed is a bent spindle, newer TD160's have a post that prevents you catching the spindle when you need to take the platter off and helps to stop you causing any damage. Regarding modern replacements, I don't think there is anyone making a drop in replacement motor and the originals have long since gone out of production, i have seen people modify the Premotec motors that go in Linn LP12's and Rega Planars and they seem to be the most obvious choice as a replacement.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123