Thread: Electrocompaniet P1-2B amplifier

I'm Ian.

Default Electrocompaniet P1-2B amplifier

Electrocompaniet P1-2B in lovely condition for sale. Power output:

into 8 ohm 2 x 100 W
    into 4 ohm 2 x 150 W
    into 2 ohm 2 x 220 W

Two balanced inputs, two line inputs.

I bought this in June from Hifi Hangar as a stop gap while I looked for a valve amp. Typical Electrocompaniet build quality and sound quality, it is an excellent amplifier. I'm not sure of it's age but its successor, the P1-2D with built in DAC, was launched in 2012 and it's predecessor in 2009.
    This amp functions perfectly with the only proviso being that it makes a quiet burp when powering on.

£540 collected or £560 posted in original boxes.

I'm Ian.

Will consider sensible offers for this excellent amplifier.

I'm malcolm.

I'm surprised there has been no interest in this, it got good reviews and seems a bit of a bargain. I've bought a few things from Ian over the years and he's a true gent to deal with.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Ian.

Here's a review for my Electrocompaniet's predecessor, the P1-2. From the specs I think the amplifier sections are very much the same.

https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/de...april_2008.pdf

I'm Ian.

...and another review of the previous model.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/elec...aniet/pi2.html

I'm Ian.

Regarding the pop that occurs with this amp on start up from cold (but not when it is warm), I contacted Electrocompaniet to see if this is a problem. Here is their reply.

Electrocompaniet support (Electrocompaniet)

Sep 17, 2021, 15:13 GMT+2
    Hi!

It's normal that there is a small noise at start up, and it's also normal that it's a lower level when the unit is warm. It's partly related to the DC level in the unit, and the fact that this model doesn't have relays on the output.
    Unless the noise is quite loud, or has gotten notably worse, it's normally not necessary to do anything.
    Best regards/Med vennlig hilsen
    Electrocompaniet support
    So if you were considering this amp but my description of the burp on start up put you off it would seem this is nothing to worry about.

I'm Chris.

Quality amp! 100 per. Channel!A bargain.
    Chris.

I'm Ian.

Thanks Chris.
    As it happens I decided to send the amp off to Electrocompaniet for a service. They recommended an upgrade to ensure its long life which I've agreed to.

This improvement is related to the circuits around the main processor and it's aimed at preventing the processor getting false error signals, as well as ensuring that it's starts correctly. The new software also increases stability and reduces risk for unexpected errors. This is a preventive measure, your unit might work fine for many many years, but we still believe it's worth doing while it's here at the factory. We usually do it to all Prelude amps that we get through the workshop to ensure a long life.
    Once it is returned to me I'll decide whether to keep it or not. If I do sell it the price will have to go up considerably!

I'm Ian.

The amp is back from Norway with upgrades and hardly a noise on switch on. Total cost of this was £357 with just under £200 for the service and upgrades.

Courier costs were rather high but I can hardly pass them on so I am now asking £750 for this beautiful amp. There is one on Hifi For Sale for £800 but that hasn't been serviced. This beautiful amp should now give many years of excellent service.

I also learnt a few things about this amp which makes some of my description above inaccurate. The B suffix is merely to indicate the amp is black

I'm Ian.

Open to offers before it goes on ebay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast