+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for a suitable "temporary" power amp for a Croft 25 RSLS

I'm Stephen.

Default Suggestions for a suitable "temporary" power amp for a Croft 25 RSLS

One of my Croft 7 Monoblocks has to go off for repair so I'm currently without a power amp for my Croft 25RSLS line stage pre.

I'm looking for a suitable power amp (solid state or valve) that I can use while I'm waiting for the 7 Mono to be fixed. I'm aware of the phase inversion that the Croft's employ and possible inductance issues with mismatched pre and power amps but I have no idea what might be a suitable match although I have read the Quad 606 works OK. My Epos M22i's are easy to drive so it doesn't have to be a power monster.

I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who has real life experience of partnering a Croft 25 with a non-Croft power amp.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Pete.

in a similar position I obtained an smsl sa50 [amazon £50ish] ..............gobsmacked at the performance of this tiny class d I ditched the class ab and now run Nords one up nc 500

I'm Pete.

in a similar position I obtained an smsl sa50 [amazon £50ish] ..............gobsmacked at the performance of this tiny class d I ditched the class ab and now run Nords one up nc 500

I'm Martin.

QUAD 303 will work, as will - surprisingly - a Linn LK100.

I also tried a Behringer A100 with mine and that was a disaster, unlistenable.

I'd go for QUAD as a known quantity.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Buy a cheap but respectable integrated amp and use that. It'll allow some volume adjustment if you need it too. Something from NAD or Denon should do the job and sound decent enough for the time being.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

could use a proart amp or a pair if you wanted... cheap but they are good and also have a vc on front.. a lot of folk here have or have had them. ive got 4 lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It's a question of compatibility, the Croft pre really does not get on with some power amps. I think it might overload those with high input sensitivity or something. I never fully got to the bottom of it. QUAD is a safe bet though and the combo sounds very good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's a question of compatibility, the Croft pre really does not get on with some power amps. I think it might overload those with high input sensitivity or something. I never fully got to the bottom of it. QUAD is a safe bet though and the combo sounds very good.
    would imagine firebottle will know.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Glenn has fixed my amp and it's on it's on its way back to me. 4 working days turn around! How's that for superb after sales service and support?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    would imagine firebottle will know.
    Your right, I do.
    Most Croft preamps have a fairly high output impedance, though some have been modified to include a cathode follower stage to lower the output impedance.
    Glenn does do this if requested.

If the standard output is connected to a low input impedance power amp, of say 10K which is quite common with Solid State, the operating characteristic of the output stage in the Croft is affected badly. The following impedance needs to be 100K or more IMO. It is the classic impedance mis-match.

Put more simply always follow a low impedance output with a high impedance input for trouble free operation.

PS Great news on the amp Steve.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread