+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Quad 306 mods + repair questions

I'm Chris.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by RaggaMuffin View Post
    Thank you! Much appreciated.
    Hi, please let me/us know your thoughts/conclusions..and what alterations -if any- you are going to make!

Best wishes,

I'm Geoff.

Others here might appreciate a look at your photos Richard. If you feel like sharing .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Others here might appreciate a look at your photos Richard. If you feel like sharing .
    I could share them here, if that's okay with Richard?

I'm Richard.

...of course...please do.

I'm sorry my first attempt at picture hosting didn't work as intended.

(You'll may need to rotate the images 90 degrees to match yours).

No copyright issues!

BW
    Last edited by Bonky; 18-08-2021 at 20:40. Reason: missed a full stop!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, please let me/us know your thoughts/conclusions..and what alterations -if any- you are going to make!

Best wishes,
    I notice on your board, you only have 4 decoupling caps, across D1 and D2 on each side. Was there a reason for RedHill Audio not installing all 10 caps, as per the Dada instructions? Also, what are those bits between the PS caps? They look like little metal plates bridging the leads.

Changes so far I'm going to make is reducing the input sensitivity to 1V by changing R6. However, I think before I do that I want to try and find the source of the distortion. I've also just noticed quite a loud hum when I tested it just now. I'm not sure if that was there before or not. I noticed a user called Light Dependant Resistor has a lot of ideas regarding the 306, so I might go through the posts he's made or might shoot him a message.

I'm Chris.

Pics of Bonky's example:

I'm Chris.

Also, when measuring the voltages listed on the schematic, what is an acceptable +/- deviation % before I need to investigate a reading? When I did the Bottlehead Crack kit, it had a wide acceptable variance of +/- 10%.

I'm Geoff.

Pics of Bonky's example
    Good stuff. I have a couple of these nice amps.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

I notice on your board, you only have 4 decoupling caps, across D1 and D2 on each side. Was there a reason for RedHill Audio not installing all 10 caps, as per the Dada instructions? Also, what are those bits between the PS caps? They look like little metal plates bridging the leads.

Sorry...I don't know/recall. Are the 'bits' between the PS caps just surface-mount resistors or zeners~?

Changes so far I'm going to make is reducing the input sensitivity to 1V by changing R6. However, I think before I do that I want to try and find the source of the distortion. I've also just noticed quite a loud hum when I tested it just now. I'm not sure if that was there before or not. I noticed a user called Light Dependant Resistor has a lot of ideas regarding the 306, so I might go through the posts he's made or might shoot him a message.
    Please see above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast