+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Things We Do

I'm Shaun.

Default The Things We Do

Thorens TD160 Linn LVV by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

This is what I gave up in 2018 to go entirely digital

Regrets ? A few but then again; no sorry that's another line

I also sold my entire vinyl collection that year too. No going back now.

I'm Chris.

I very nearly did this once, I was planning to get all my vinyl copied onto CDs then sell all the vinyl.
    Then I had second thoughts and I am glad that I did and did not carry the plan through.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Mike.

Even if going total digital, it doesn't hurt to hold onto one decent TT and a couple dozen of your favorite LPs. My2¢

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Late 50s here, and I'm still buying vinyl albums at a rate of knots. I know the day will come when I can't find space for them all, and/or I can't take them with me. I need to think about an industrial scale digital ripping process. But not just yet.

Pete

I'm Bob.

I'd be more than happy to leave the faff of vinyl behind me - flipping the disc every 15/20 minutes is a major irritant.

But try as I may (and I really have tried!) I can't squeeze that last few per cent of sound quality out of my network audio for it to be consistently better. It's close and on some recordings one beats the other, but when vinyl shines through with a quality recording nothing touches it.

CD and network are on a par with each other and cater for maybe 80% of my listening because it's convenient, of good quality and can be continuous, but vinyl still has a place for me at the moment. But as digital continues to improve who knows?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

+ Reply to Thread