+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for stylus advice for Goldring/Roksan cart body. Or - a stylus shape question

I'm Charlie.

Default Looking for stylus advice for Goldring/Roksan cart body. Or - a stylus shape question

I have a Roksan Corus cart body which you probably know is based on the Goldring 1*** range of cartridges. There are four stylus shapes available to fit this range, elliptical, gyger 11, Vital PH and Gyger S. I am wondering which will best suit me in terms of sonic presentation.
    I'm currently enjoying a Shure SC35c which has a lovely full-bodied and punchy sound with really good bass but just as importantly, very low surface noise. The Shures only shortfall is in detail retrieval . So regarding the various Goldring stylii I'm wondering if there is a happy compromise to be struck between ballsiness, detail and surface noise? What say you regarding the pro's and con's of these different stylus shapes?

No idea if such a thing exists for your body but I am extremely happy with my A&R P77 and it’s Shure hyper elliptical tip. Surface noise is nowhere and the bass is very good with just the slightest hint of retro warmth. My MC days of all detail and no music are over and I honestly don’t think I am missing out on anything. I lent it to a mate with 124, M2, Devialet and Boenickes and he is flogging his Hana.
    P.s. whatever you do, if you use an MM, pay attention to its capacitance requirements. I had never even contemplated this up to about a month ago, never looking further than the 47kr impedance setting for MMs. I knocked up a y splitter with different capacitance plugs, settling on around 120 pF extra in the end. The proverbial understatement became something real.It appears that some cartridges , like the P77, need extra whereas I believe others need to add a negative amount somehow. Discuss, those who , unlike me, really understand what I’m on about.
    Last edited by Chris; 25-07-2021 at 14:40.

I'm Charlie.

Thanks Chris. Like yourself Ive only recently woken up to the importance of correct loading for MM carts. As for surface noise and its correlation to stylus shapes I will have to 'take a punt' on the Goldring I guess. Certainly ML, MR types etc are no guarantee of low noise and the lowly conical stylus of the SC35c runs so quietly in the groove that it contradicts most of what I have read.

I'm Charlie.

I have a 1042 stylus on the way. Will be interesting to hear how it performs.

I'm John.

@Chris Who did the Shure retip? Am currently using a P77Mg on a 401/RB250, in my 2nd system, and have a spare P77 head with no stylus.

Hi,
    An Italian. Unfortunately, he has taken a sabbatical over the pandemic so is not available

I'm Charlie.

Just a quick update to tie this thread up. The 1042 stylus/Roksan body assembly is now making lovely sounds on my Jelco/Garrard 401. I had previously read so many contradictory opinions about the performance of this stylus re excessive surface noise and difficulty of set-up that I didn't know if purchasing was a good idea or not. I can report that I have had no such problems and after only a few sides it's sounding great.

+ Reply to Thread