+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridge recommendations up to £400

I'm Neil.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far, especially as i hadn't really considered the OC9 or the Eroica.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbox81 View Post
    Thanks Geoff.

I will admit that i hadn't really looked at the Goldring range for some reason but the Eroica LX is a good shout. I also understand that they give a discount off a new cartridge when exchanging an old one?
    I think they do. Everything you need to know is probably here: https://www.goldring.co.uk/

They are approachable people, so you could ring them with any questions.

I think some dealers may offer discount on new Goldrings.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbox81 View Post
    Thanks Chas

I watched his comparison last night between the Hana and the Nag MP-150 and was intrigued that the Nagaoka came out on top for him.
    I agreed with his findings, the Nag was impressive. So much so that I was seriously considering the MP200 but I don't think any of my tonearms are a good match compliance-wise.

I'm Neil.

Thanks all for the recommendations.

I've decided to take Lurch up on his offer and have his AT-OC9 once he's done this it in a couple of week time. Will report back on my impressions once everything is set up

I'm Jacques.

I used to have an Etoica LX (RB300, top mc head amp) and never liked it.
    It sounded a bit raw compared to the G1042 which was far more refined.
    These days, it’s AT all the way. Their top MM’s are fantastic. I’m not a fan of the Shibata stylus: too recessed.
    I much prefer the ML variant, which I find more dynamic and CD-like (when done properly).
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm Neil.

As as slight aside to the above, whilst I wait for Lurch's AT-OC9XML, I popped on the bay to see what MCs there might be on there and spotted an untested 80s Goldring Electro 11+ HOMC. Took a punt on it given that I could always px it. Received it today and have to say that I'm over the moon on initial listening. Cantilever looks nice and straight and it's got a lovely clarity, soundstage and detail to it.

Still need to put it though its paces a little more but it's put a big smile on my face tonight

I'm Jacques.

Good! Isn’t that the most important after all?
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I have a Benz Micro Gold MC and a (stock) Denon DL103. Having used various generations of the Rega arm - 200, 250, 300, fully OL-modded 250 and finally Origin Live Silver, I would recommend the Benz as the partner.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete The Cat; 07-08-2021 at 19:35. Reason: Mis-spelling

I'm Neil.

So having received Lurch's OC9xML earlier in the week, I finally got around to installing it on Friday and and settled down yesterday for a decent listening session. Discs played included Frampton Comes Alive, a Fats Waller compilation, some acid house and hardcore, and a great little Bossanova compilation.

First impressions are really good. Having really liked the Goldring Electro II that I've had on for the last week or two and the Nagaoka before that, there was an immediate increase in quality. Not as much as going from the Nag to the Goldring but certainly the bass was slightly more pronounced and tighter, giving a much better tonal balance than the previous two cart had. Imaging was great, and the depth of the sound was lovely, especially on the Bossanova comp which was mono and which I think has given me a new appreciation for how good mono recordings can sound.

The acid house records were as expected, rock solid 4/4 grooves but with an increased emphasis on the swing of the percussion showing how well produced some of those records really were for the time. And Frampton Comes Alive sounded great with a real sense of the live environment of the recording.

Finally, whilst I expected greater detail etc. I was really surprised by the almost total absence of surface noise. I'm in the process of cleaning my collection and some of the vinyl played was quite dirty yet the AT had no issues in tracking nor did any of the dirt manifest itself through the speakers. Everything was very quiet.

Overall, I'm very impressed and very happy with the cart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12