+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge recommendations up to £400

I'm Neil.

Default Cartridge recommendations up to £400

Hi all

I know this has probably been done to death and I have spent a lot of time looking at forums but I'm looking for cartridge recommendations.

I'm currently using a Nagaoka MP-110 stylus into a MP-300/500 body mounted on an rega RB-250 arm and whilst I really like it, I feel that I could do with a little better imaging.

I'm thinking of making the jump to MC and within budget, I have a number of possible options including:

Hana EL
    DENON 103/103R
    Benz Micro Gold

I could also probably stretch to a AT33PTG or a Sumiko Blue Point Evo Special 3.

In the back of my mind though, I'm wondering whether I should just stick to mm ( my preamp can accommodate both) and plump for the MP-500 stylus.

Thoughts and opinions most welcome

N

I'm Ben.

I have been very happy with the AT oc9-xml I bought last year. Not sure where prices are now but it was under £400 new when purchased.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Funny how Goldring MC cartridges seldom get a mention. They really are rather nice and usefully have full UK manufacturer support. If you bust it, they'll fix it!

I've owned a vast number of decent low and high output MC's, but still find my Eroica LX very enjoyable. I understand the high output model is well worth a listen too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

@Shadowbox81 if your in no rush then I will have a sub 70hr OC9 xML available, we'll within your budget, after 01/08. Need to hang on to it until then as have 2 Bake-offs (this Sunday & next Sunday) and the cart is currently on my 401\AudioMods II in my 2nd system.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Of the two mentioned, I would recommend either the Hana El or the Denon 103. I have heard a Sumiko Blue Point cartridge (think it was a 'Special Mk II') but it made little impression on me.

I would also support Geoff's championing of Goldring cartridges - always the poor sister to the likes of Shure and Audio Technica but IMO just as goo, if not better. And they have a UK after sales service. A friend of mine has a Goldring Eroica, and it's a fine MC cartridge.
    Barry

I'm Charlie.

There is a chap on Youtube, I think his channel is called HiVy, he's based in Singapore. He has done lots of cartridge comparisons of carts in your price range which might interest you. I don't know what he uses for his recordings but the differences are clearly audible between the different carts.The Nags have come out very well in his reviews...
    Last edited by Chas B; 20-07-2021 at 20:02.

I'm Neil.

Thanks Geoff.

I will admit that i hadn't really looked at the Goldring range for some reason but the Eroica LX is a good shout. I also understand that they give a discount off a new cartridge when exchanging an old one?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Of the two mentioned, I would recommend either the Hana El or the Denon 103. I have heard a Sumiko Blue Point cartridge (think it was a 'Special Mk II') but it made little impression on me.

I would also support Geoff's championing of Goldring cartridges - always the poor sister to the likes of Shure and Audio Technica but IMO just as good, if not better. And they have a UK after sales service. A friend of mine has a Goldring Eroica, and it's a fine MC cartridge.
    Thanks for the recommendation
    Last edited by Barry; 20-07-2021 at 21:15.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    @Shadowbox81 if your in no rush then I will have a sub 70hr OC9 xML available, we'll within your budget, after 01/08. Need to hang on to it until then as have 2 Bake-offs (this Sunday & next Sunday) and the cart is currently on my 401\AudioMods II in my 2nd system.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

I think that was a little too high budget wise but a low hours one may be doable. I'll PM you

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    There is a chap on Youtube, I think his channel is called HiVy, he's based in Singapore. He has done lots of cartridge comparisons of carts in your price range which might intest you. I don't know what he uses for his recordings but the differences are clearly audible between the different carts.The Nags have come out very well in his reviews...
    Thanks Chas

I watched his comparison last night between the Hana and the Nag MP-150 and was intrigued that the Nagaoka came out on top for him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast