+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing a Mark Levinson CD player

I'm David.

Default Replacing a Mark Levinson CD player

Evening all, I'm looking for some suggestions, guidance, baseless opinions if anyone's up for it.
    My ML390 might have finally spun it's last disc so I'm weighing up options.
    I've been running an Audiolab 6000 player with Soncoz SDG1 DAC as a (possibly temporary) replacement. It's doing a fine job but I'm missing that extra quality the Levinson brings.
    My thoughts are either stick with these, buy a better DAC to pair with the Audiolab (and am currently drawn to the Teac UD701 though I've not seen or heard it), or maybe buy a pre-owned high end player, with a budget around the £2k mark.

Thoughts ? All input welcome. Knock yerselves out.......
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Peter.

You could do a lot worse than look at a Meridian G series CDP or DVD player. But IIRC you need to check that the power supply has been replaced. Have a look on the Meridian Unplugged website for detail, and follow the link to ‘Duncan’s Meridian Info’. Or an earlier 508-24 but you would be wise to pick up a spare laser mech or two, if you went down that route. You can get all of these for much less than a grand in good nick.

Alternatively, I auditioned a second hand Krell at the £1200 mark (?) a while back and was very impressed especially with the bass but it wasn’t that much more impressive than my current Meridians (508-24 CDP and a 500 CDT plus DAC).
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm David.

Thanks Kember, not a brand I've considered.
    Any thoughts on pairing Meridian with valves ? I'm all Croft, and they're keepers.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Peter.

I like the very clean output from Meridians, but they do not have that bass heavy effect that I have experienced from the likes of Levinson and Macintosh. Some people think that the Meridians are a bit laid back but I think it is more that there’s a less coloured signal. Whatever it is, it takes some getting used to, compared to the slightly sledgehammer approach of some of the Yank mega boxes. Just my taste/opinion obvs.

But I’ve paired my 508 in the past with an Audio Research valve integrated to good effect.

As with other things, a reasonably ‘pure’ source won’t do much harm to whatever colouration you wish to add.
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have had a couple of Meridian CD players and fine machines they are. Lasers and laser/transport mechanism is the weak link particularly with the 506.24 I had latterly.

I did have a couple of spares for this machine which is now long gone, however a friend tried to use one on his 506.24 with no success, so caution is probably advisable.

I had no problem using Meridian in an all valve set up, and found the characteristics of Meridian much as described above by Kember.

I would have no hesitation in listening to one of Meridians modern players however they are expensive for me who does not use CD as my primary source.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm David.

Ta for the suggestions. I've done a quick search and can't quite get a grip on how old the machines for sale are.
    Any idea when (if ?) they stopped production ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm following this thread with interest as I am becoming dissatisfied with my Mark Levinson 390s CD player.

Can I ask the reason why you are looking to change yours, and what is your budget for its replacement?

Thanks
    Barry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm following this thread with interest as I am becoming dissatisfied with my Mark Levinson 390s CD player.

Can I ask the reason why you are looking to change yours, and what is your budget for its replacement?

Thanks
    Hi Barry, I'm having this conversation across two threads so sorry all.
    As posted, I LOVE my 390 but the right hand channel's died. It's with Deco Audio for diagnosis.
    I bought it used and had more than my money's worth so can't complain. If it's not cost effective to repair I'm open to suggestions to replace but it'll take some beating. Budget will be whatever makes sense at the time I'm forced into a decision, and as us hifi loonies know, that's a moveable feast

I'm Peter.

The 500 series ran from mid-nineties to early 2000s from recollection. The G series early to mid 2000s to around 2010. The 800 series up until about last year.
    Separates Systems:

Integrated Home System:

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    The 500 series ran from mid-nineties to early 2000s from recollection. The G series early to mid 2000s to around 2010. The 800 series up until about last year.
    Many thanks for the clarification. I'm not brave enough to buy something as old as my 390,but I'll check out the 800 ta.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast