+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Living with a Toyota Hybrid? (Toyota Corolla Sports Tourer)

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Nice car, but that DSG6 is fraught with problems (as are almost all the VW DSG boxes). Keep on top of any slight issue (juddering, hesitation, partial reverse) as if left it will costs thousands to replace.

Keep these chaps in your address book: https://www.actronics.co.uk/acinsights/dsg-6
    I think they are on top of the issues now, and regular (40k) oil and filter changes seem to minimise the problems.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That's good then. The DSG boxes are well known for problems.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    That's good then. The DSG boxes are well known for problems.
    They seem a bit complicated, but perhaps if they're maintained well then many people will find them OK.

https://www.actronics.co.uk/news/how...dsg6-and-dsg7/

I wonder how the electric motor(s) are connected into the drive train in the PHEV model. I hope that it works out well - would be interesting to hear in time.

I'm not sure what kind of charger is required for a PHEV. .Since the range is probably only about 30 miles - if that - in pure EV mode, then maybe a charger which runs off the mains supply will be good enough - and if there are charging points at the destination(s) - (work?) then the need for home charging might be a lot less than a pure EV. In the UK a typical high current fast home charger costs around £600-£800 installed, but there are many deals. Not sure about the situation in France.

A fast home charger can make sense to maximise the charge in the electricity cheap tariff periods - with a timed charger clearly.

Quote re the Superb PHEV
    Powered by more. By working together, the SUPERB iV's 13 kWh battery and petrol engine offer a range of up 578 miles. You can charge it with a Mode 2 cable in five hours using a domestic three-pin plug. For a faster charge, the Mode 3 cable will provide 100% charge three and a half hours using a 3.6 kW wallbox
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    They seem a bit complicated, but perhaps if they're maintained well then many people will find them OK.

https://www.actronics.co.uk/news/how...dsg6-and-dsg7/

I wonder how the electric motor(s) are connected into the drive train in the PHEV model. I hope that it works out well - would be interesting to hear in time.

I'm not sure what kind of charger is required for a PHEV. .Since the range is probably only about 30 miles - if that - in pure EV mode, then maybe a charger which runs off the mains supply will be good enough - and if there are charging points at the destination(s) - (work?) then the need for home charging might be a lot less than a pure EV. In the UK a typical high current fast home charger costs around £600-£800 installed, but there are many deals. Not sure about the situation in France.

A fast home charger can make sense to maximise the charge in the electricity cheap tariff periods - with a timed charger clearly.

Quote re the Superb PHEV
    i did read a page on this but it was a bit above my paygrade

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...3-mqbphev.html
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i did read a page on this but it was a bit above my paygrade

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...3-mqbphev.html
    Interesting article - VW going for modular construction over a whole range of models. Would need more examination.

My suspicion is that by including standard petrol and diesel engines in the range the resulting vehicles are not optimal, but there would be advantages in production and maintenance.

The Toyota hybrid transmissions are very good - and use some really neat design ideas to give both very good performance and smooth operation. From what I have read to date, the Toyota hybrid transmission designs are better than most of the competition, and the engine design is actually also different to match the transmission.

Of course plug-in hybrids also have the extra weight of a petrol or diesel engine - but that may be helpful for some - gives extra range - as noted in the Superb mentioned. Going to pure EVs removes the "need" to carry extra engine weight, though that is offset in terms of battery weight. Toyota haven't been so strong in pure EVs - concentrating on hybrids - though it seems they are planning to extend their range to include more EVs. Also they do have one of the very few hydrogen based cars - but at a price - https://www.toyota.co.uk/world-of-toyota/beyondzero

Pure EVs should be quieter - and simpler. However often the road noise is significant even in an EV, so it's not always obvious that EVs are quieter inside the vehicle.
    Recently around us there has been a section of road which has been renewed. Yesterday I really noticed the difference in the Tesla - the noise dropped to very quiet (for a car) on that section of road.
    The join between the new and the older road surfaces was obvious - and the noise levels rose back up on the rougher surfaces.

This makes me wonder if in fact road surface design is something which should be considered seriously - though it probably is - and done to the cheapest possible "standard".
    People living close to motorways might be happy if road surfaces could be replaced with quieter ones. Besides sound levels, other factors for road surfaces include rate of deterioration, longevity, water drainage etc., so the quietest surfaces might not be the best from an economic and maintenance point of view.
    Dave

I'm Kevin.

I did look at a Model 3, but 5he boot is too small, and with the extended range version, it worked out more that I wanted to spend.

The Superb will be charged from a 16A domestic plug. It is limited to charging at 3.7kW, so no need for a charging station.
    I am going to investigate the charging points at work, to see what is the cheapest option. I expect it will be home charging.

I pick the car up in a couple of weeks. I did my last long trip in the BMW today. A sad day, but it has been a great car and very reliable up to now. Only issues have been a wheel bearing, and the front engine pulley falling off.

I just know it is going to be expensive to get through the next CT, and with a clutch change coming up soon, it is best to get rid of it.
    I popped into the garage on Saturday to sign the paperwork, and while I was there, I had a good look at the ID 4. Looks good…
    Install a set of photovoltaic panels on your roof, and you could possibly have very low cost motoring.

The next change will be a car for the wife. I have a couple of years before I need to do this though.
    That may be full electric.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I did look at a Model 3, but 5he boot is too small, and with the extended range version, it worked out more that I wanted to spend.

The Superb will be charged from a 16A domestic plug. It is limited to charging at 3.7kW, so no need for a charging station.
    I am going to investigate the charging points at work, to see what is the cheapest option. I expect it will be home charging.

I pick the car up in a couple of weeks. I did my last long trip in the BMW today. A sad day, but it has been a great car and very reliable up to now. Only issues have been a wheel bearing, and the front engine pulley falling off.

I just know it is going to be expensive to get through the next CT, and with a clutch change coming up soon, it is best to get rid of it.
    I popped into the garage on Saturday to sign the paperwork, and while I was there, I had a good look at the ID 4. Looks good…
    Install a set of photovoltaic panels on your roof, and you could possibly have very low cost motoring.

The next change will be a car for the wife. I have a couple of years before I need to do this though.
    That may be full electric.
    how is the superb Kevin?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I quite like it.
    It has a few added options on which make the car easy to live with, such as the Dynamic Chassis Control (adaptive dampers). You can set the suspension to the comfort level you want. It is also really quiet inside. A very comfortable car.

So far I have averaged 72mpg, which is great considering I am currently in a particularly hilly part of France, and I have been playing with the power available. I am pleasantly surprised at the throttle response for overtaking. The combination of the petrol and electric motors make it respond instantaneously.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Did a three hour run yesterday at motorway speeds. Averaged just under 60mpg which I am happy with, as I know it is not specially economical on a run, but that is better than the BMW ever did, bringing my average since I have had the car down to 69mpg.

This figure will improve as I get back into a normal routine, as I should be burning very little petrol during the week, as the battery range will be sufficient for my daily use.

In comfort mode, you just waft along on the motorway, like you are sat on a sofa. There is very little wind noise at 135km/h.
    It looks like the car ticks all of the boxes, apart from one. I can’t fit a tow hitch. The car is not homologated for towing, so the bikes will have to go on the roof. I knew this when I bought it, so got the dealer to give me some free roof bars.

Another slight downside is the requirement for an annual oil change, as the engine may not get used much, so VAG have decided it needs to be changed frequently.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

thats not bad for a longish motorway run. its also a big car... so more impressive
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast