+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New speakers

I'm Steve.

Default New speakers

Well they have finally arrived. My last pair of speakers. The Alchris V20 Progmeister specials. They are absolutely stunning.

I'm Martin.

They look pretty impressive Steve. Custom built?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

They loook serious, but don't you think that it would be better not to scatter your CDs all over the carpet?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Look great Steve. Have you more details? Are there woofers on the sides?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm matt.

What's hidden behind the acoustic cloth(?) on the insides?

I'm Adrian.

They look rather serious, do they come with ear defenders Happy listen, let us know what you think them sonically.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Lawrence.

If there are more woofers on the side then they're going to be immense

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They look pretty impressive Steve. Custom built?
    Indeed they are Martin. It's a long story which i will post as part of this thread later when i am not absolutely knackered. I hope you are well sir?

I'm Steve.

Around 18 months ago i damaged a pair of speakers i had borrowed from a fellow neboite. Without going into details i had to sell my beloved Kralk TDB12 speakers to fund the purchase of the damaged speakers and their repair. I then sold the speakers and bought some Dali model 8 speakers as a stop gap. I considered dozens of speakers and listened to as many too and nothing came close to my Kralk's. This was confounded by the fact that Kralk audio had fallen victim to unscrupulous con men and were no longer trading. I kept in touch with Alan Clark of Kralk via social media. A few months ago i noticed some pictures of speakers being built by Alan that looked breath taking. I contacted him and he informed me that they were all part of a new range he was working on for his soon to be launched "Alchris Audio". I asked Alan if he would build me a pair of speakers and sent him some drawings. Working to my brief he advised me what was possible and what was not. Over a few weeks we agreed a design, finish, specs etc and he set about making them for me.
    Which brings me to my present fortunate position of taking delivery of my custom V20 Progmeister specials. They are a dark walnut finish with two Visaton 8" bass drivers, two Visaton mid range drivers and a top of the range Visaton soft dome tweeter. All drivers have better specs than their equivalent Scanspeak and s SEAS alternatives. The bulk of the budget went on the drivers. I can report that these beast go well beyond all of my expectations. They are simply stunning. Service too has been amazing. These have been hand made and tested and far exceed all of the speakers i listened to off the peg as it were.
    One of the back panel labels had the misspelling of "Progmeister". When this came to Alan's attention having seen a comment about the picture below, he contacted me immediately and within the hour had new labels in the post top me. Top geezer. Specs are on the rear label on the picture below.

I'm Dennis.

I have not been able to find any info on them Steve, But have had a high regard for Visaton for many years, what did they cost?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast