+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking to stream and ditch CD

I'm Grant.

i already did the tests as originally i had them in wav.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jim.

I ripped mine, roughly 1100 cds, about ten years ago. Used a tower PC with three CD drives so I could rip three cds at a time. Used the excellent dBPoweramp software

Took many weeks. Most ripped easily. A few were problematic - scratched or unknown to the tagging databases. Those were the ones that took the time. Ripped to FLAC.

(Just ripped the family DVD and Blu-Ray collection too. That was a bigger job!)

Jim.

I'm Rob.

I've got a Melco hard drive and have a USB CD drive attached to it. It is by far the easiest ripping system I've used. For me, the difficult bit is not the ripping as such, but getting the tagging and image association right. The Melco software does that for you. Just put the disc in, click a couple of buttons and wait for it to copy. All the tagging and image association is done in the background.

Have said that, I don't routinely rip my CDs. I find browsing a lot of ripped CDs a bit of a pain and like the tactility of selecting CDs. I bought a CD drawer cabinet and that sorted my storage problems.

I'd suggest you think carefully about ripping and getting rid of your CDs. You could miss the old CDs.

Oh!!! and don't forget to make sure you have a good backup strategy. I have all the albums I have on my Melco, also on a QNAP NAS. I also have a back up USB hard drive attached to the Melco. I've had hard drives fail. That's a very bad way to lose your music collection, which I've avoided because I have a backup strategy.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Dave.

Does anyone know anything significant about this cheap streamer - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Musi...-/203074827397

Really cheap - so could be worth a punt.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Does anyone know anything significant about this cheap streamer - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Musi...-/203074827397

Really cheap - so could be worth a punt. Probably wouldn't expect ultra high quality sound from it, but unless one connects to high quality streams that's not going to work anyway.
    Dave

I'm tony.

I use an innous zen mk2...its very good streaming and playing my CD collection.

You can make a back up copy really easily and play that hard drive via a 4k bluray player,

A google chromecast audio is a neat wee solution for streaming, it has an optical out to plumb it into a dac.....used a 5v powerbank to power it to good effect.

A laptop with CD drive and USB out is probably the simplest solution but really cheap lap top can sound pure shite.

A CD transport and DAC can really upgrade your CD enjoyment.

I'm Stuart.

it seems as though the OPs initial question has been answered but if anyone would like information about my Raspberry Pi/Allo setup playing FLAC files exclusively then I’d be happy to oblige.

I'm Andrew.

Ripping CD's as has been noted is quite easy I would certainly advise buying and using DbPoweramp as it organises and tags things very well . If you have a large number of CD's to rip then I would advise to buy something like this or similar as the time taken to rip an average CD of about from 4 minutes plus on the CD drive in a laptop to about 2 mins . This drive is able to read 52 x and is built like a tank and above all gets through any CD at rapid speeds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154542793...IAAOSwL7lg-~wN

When you have finished with it just store it away and you can either get it out when you buy new CD's or if there is only a few then you can just use the Laptop to rip those. As this is a USB CD Drive you can either use the file cd for Windows or Apple will find drivers automatically .

With regard to Flac and the original CD being different that may well be true but in my view it is always in favour of the Flac file . And as to how I can tell I keep all of my CD's but play from my server so at any time if i want to I can compare them . Did lots of this in first few weeks when i was ripping them and have done it about onve every few months when I felt I was curious . Flac files when played sound more natural and open to me so will stick with this . I also downloaded both the WAV and Flac Hi Res file version of Richard Thompson's Rumour and Sigh and they sound as much as I can tell identical . After this i stopped being paranoid and just enjoyed the music .

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

Really cheap - so could be worth a punt.
    It will be crap using your phone’s DAC

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    The only problem is that having copied all your CDs into FLAC files you cannot go back if your system changes result in the ability to hear the difference.
    Assuming we're talking LPCM audio, if (genuine) FLAC files are unpacked to WAV, they will be the full monty - I've done WAV to FLAC / FLAC to WAV and the WAV file size is identical. MP3 can't be reversed - there is real data that has been stripped out.

I personally can't hear any difference between WAV or (genuine) FLAC but I've long since learnt that just because I can or can't taste / see / hear something, it doesn't mean someone else can or can't.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast